Australian Bar Turns Away Lady Gaga Party, Performance for Local Band
The pop star has been selling out mega concerts down under, but the owners of one saloon stayed loyal to their hometown guys.
When it comes to hosting either a Grammy-winning superstar, or a local blues rock band, the decision is easy: bring on the chord progressions and fedoras. Right?
Such was the choice by Australian bar and event space Cherry, whose co-owner, James Young, had to turn away a Lady Gaga afterparty and performance in honor to honor the residency of local blues-rock band, Jackson Firebird. The pop star has been selling out mega concerts down under, but the owners of one saloon stayed loyal to their hometown guys. The issue, Australian newspaper The Age reports, was that the duo was supposed to go on at nine, but Gaga's band did not want to clear the stage of its instruments to make way.
Gaga, who has been playing sold out shows on the continent, had hosted the parties at the bar during previous tour stops in Australia. And, there were no hard feelings, Young said. Still, Young doubted himself, saying that he was "was gobsmacked and thunderstruck with the thought 'have I done the most stupid thing in Australian music?' "But I'd rather be remembered as the person who wouldn't budge on an existing booking for a local band."
Still, Gaga doesn't seem too upset; on Tuesday, she tweeted, "5 sold out shows in seven days. I think I'm officially Australian. One more show until PERTH! And tomorrow is our HAUS 4TH OF JUL."
Titans of Comic-Con: Stars Re-Create Classic Characters (Photos)
- Exclusive Portraits of Robert Griffin III, Ronda Rousey, Kareem Abdul-Jabbar (Photos)
- MOBA: Inside the Biggest Sporting Event You've Never Heard Of (Photos)
- Emmy Awards 2014: The Nominees (Photos)
- Hollywood's Notable Deaths of 2014 (Photos)
What's Hot In Music
- 'Teen Wolf' Fans Can Barely Contain Their Excitement At Comic Con
- Christopher Nolan, Matthew McConaughey Surprise Comic Con With New 'Interstellar' Trailer
- Pedro Pascal Really Wishes He Were Still On 'Game Of Thrones,' Even In Small Part
- Morgan Freeman And Jimmy Fallon Talking On Helium Will Make Your Day
- Best of Late Night TV: Dwayne Johnson's Fainting Spell and Morgan Freeman's Helium Balloon Voice (VIDEO)
- The 10 Most Important 'Interstellar' Mysteries Revealed at Comic-Con 2014
- 'Hot Tub Time Machine 2' Trailer: Back To the Hilariously Outrageous Future (VIDEO)
- There's Still Hope For an 'X-Files' Reboot