Author: Courtney Love, Not Kurt Cobain, Wrote Note Found in Wallet
The note received media attention last week after CBS News published it, saying it was presumably written by the grunge rocker.
SEATTLE (AP) — One of the foremost experts on Kurt Cobain said the late grunge rocker did not pen a note mocking his wedding vows to fellow musician Courtney Love.
Love herself wrote it, said Seattle author Charles R. Cross, who has written several books on Cobain, including the biography Heavier Than Heaven. Cross said Love emailed him to say that she wrote the note and that she gave it to Cobain before their wedding in 1991.
"Early in their relationship, they wrote notes like that to each other constantly," Cross said. "The handwriting is absolutely Courtney's."
Police found the note in Cobain's wallet after he killed himself in 1994. It received a lot of media attention last week after CBS News published it, saying it was presumably written by Cobain and that it was sure to stoke questions about what role his marriage played in his death. The note references Love as Cobain's "lawful shredded wife" who would be "siphoning" his money for drugs.
"The note was promoted as Kurt mocking their wedding vows three years after they were married. It just doesn't make any sense," Cross said.
Cross said the couple often wrote each other such sarcastic notes.
Cobain's body was discovered in Seattle on April 8, 1994. An investigation determined that days earlier Cobain had gone into the greenhouse of his home and taken a massive dose of heroin. He then shot himself with a 20-gauge shotgun.
Earlier this year, in advance of the 20th anniversary of Cobain's suicide, a Seattle detective reviewed the case files, including evidence photos and statements. He found no new information to change the police conclusion that Cobain took his own life.
Cobain, who was 27 when he died, sold millions of albums with Nirvana and helped popularize the Pacific Northwest's heavy, muddy "grunge" rock. Nirvana was inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame last month.
- Exclusive Portraits of Robert Griffin III, Ronda Rousey, Kareem Abdul-Jabbar (Photos)
- MOBA: Inside the Biggest Sporting Event You've Never Heard Of (Photos)
- 'Girls,' Tatiana Maslany and 18 More of the Biggest Emmy Snubs (Photos)
- Emmy Awards 2014: The Nominees (Photos)
- Hollywood's Notable Deaths of 2014 (Photos)
What's Hot In Music
- See the Visually Striking Trailer for Young Ones, With Michael Shannon and Elle Fanning
- The Feminist Horror Author You Need to Read Immediately
- ‘Age Has No Expiration Date’ Is the New ‘Blurred Lines,’ Says Pharrell in New Music Video
- Zoe Saldana Understands Why You Would Mistake Her for Other Black Actresses
- Lea Michele & Boyfriend Matthew Paetz Hit the Big Apple After Italian Getaway
- 'Weird Al' Yankovic Scores First Number 1 Album in 30 Year Career, MAGIC!'s 'Rude' Remains Number 1 Song
- Jake Gyllenhaal Enters World of Crime Reporting in First 'Nightcrawler' Trailer - Watch Now!
- Zoe Saldana Almost Quit Acting After Her Role in 'Pirates of the Caribbean': 'It Was Very Elitist'