Berry Gordy, Doug Morris, Smokey Robinson Preview 'Motown: The Musical' (Video)
Says show producer and Sony Music CEO Morris in the just-released clip: "Motown Records is the most unique record company in the history of the music business."
"For years people said if I didn't do something on Broadway that I should see a psychiatrist… and so I'm here," so says Motown Records founder Berry Gordy in a new video (below) entitled "An Inside Look at "Motown: The Musical" that hit the web on Monday.
Gordy is seen standing with the great Smokey Robinson on the floorboards at a Broadway theatre at a fundraiser for the show with Aretha Franklin, L.A. Reid, Rev. Jessie Jackson, Gayle King and others in attendance.
Perhaps the most telling moment in the clip is what Sony Music CEO Doug Morris, one of the show's producers, has to say about Hitsville U.S.A. "Motown Records," he says "is the most unique record company in the history of the music business."
Other featured speakers in the video include actors Brandon Victor Dixon and Valisia Le Kae, director Charles Randolph-Wright and producer Kevin McCollum. The show opens in previews at Broadway's Lunt-Fontanne Theatre on March 13. The motor city's Chrysler is the show's main sponsor.
- Scarlett Johansson, Lupita Nyong'o in Talks for Disney's 'Jungle Book' (Exclusive)
- Bryan Singer Breaks Silence on Abuse Claims: 'Outrageous, Vicious and Completely False'
- The Scene and Stars at the Tribeca Film Festival (Photos)
- Summer Movie Preview: Will Godzilla or Spider-Man (Or Angelina Jolie?) Dominate Your Cineplex?
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
What's Hot In Music
- Amanda Seyfried and Cara Delevingne are Joining Pan
- Theater Review: Michelle Williams and Alan Cumming Come (Back) to the Cabaret
- Christopher Meloni on Surviving Jack, Surviving Dinosaurs, and Why His Oz Character Was Revolutionary
- Hedwig and the Angry Inch Director on Those Fake Hurt Locker Playbills