Beyonce Previews New Single, Channels 'Bootylicious' Era in Pepsi Ad (Video)
The diva dons several of her most iconic looks in a new spot for the soft drink.
She may be Mrs. Carter today, but Beyonce is remembering her single lady roots.
After promising an announcement to come on Thursday morning -- urging fans to #BeyHereNow, or at 9 a.m. ET -- Beyonce delivered in the form of a Pepsi commercial wholly fitting for a throwback Thursday offering.
At the start of the one-minute clip, Beyonce -- donning black leather shorts and a sheer black top -- dances in front of a mirror, seemingly lacking inspiration to deliver something new and exciting. Until, of course, she cracks open an ice-cold can of Pepsi cola.
Only then is she greeted by 2001 Beyonce, donning the pink leather two-piece she wore in Destiny’s Child’s “Bootylicious” video. In another mirror, Beyonce circa “Crazy in Love” struts in, while Sasha Fierce drops by to represent “Single Ladies.” Before she knows it, Bey is surrounded by numerous versions of her former self, while she delivers the tagline “Embrace your past, but live for now.”
The ad, titled “Mirrors,” and not to be confused with Justin Timberlake’s hit of the same name, also serves as a preview for Bey’s new song “Grown Woman.” The Timbaland-produced track will be featured on her untitled fifth studio album.
“I had so much fun collaborating with Pepsi,” Beyonce said in a statement. “I got to re-live some of my favorite past characters and looks. It was the first time I saw those costumes in years and it was very emotional. I’m proud of those moments, and they all connect in some way and have helped me evolve into who I am today.”
Email: Sophie.Schillaci@THR.com; Twitter: @SophieSchillaci
Health & Hollywood
THR @ TORONTO
What's Hot In Music
- Hippie Blues: 45 Years of Led Zeppelin
- Music Turns Me on: A Conversation With the Hot Band Dopapod
- Ira Sachs' New Film "Love is Strange" Screens at the Deauville American Film Festival: Alfred Molina and John Lithgow as a Married Couple in Love
- 'Dancing With The Stars' Contestant Alfonso Ribeiro Proves Carlton Still Got It
- Lupita Nyong'o Visits 'Sesame Street' and It's All Kinds of Adorable (VIDEO)
- What Every '90s Kid Needs to See in the 'I Know What You Did Last Summer' Reboot
- What's On TV Tonight: 'The Mindy Project' and 'New Girl' Season Premieres, 'Sons of Anarchy,' and More Picks
- 'Sons of Anarchy's' Kim Coates Says the Final Season Is 'Full Out, Full Throttle, Wiping Everybody Out'