Beyonce Previews New Single, Channels 'Bootylicious' Era in Pepsi Ad (Video)
The diva dons several of her most iconic looks in a new spot for the soft drink.
She may be Mrs. Carter today, but Beyonce is remembering her single lady roots.
After promising an announcement to come on Thursday morning -- urging fans to #BeyHereNow, or at 9 a.m. ET -- Beyonce delivered in the form of a Pepsi commercial wholly fitting for a throwback Thursday offering.
At the start of the one-minute clip, Beyonce -- donning black leather shorts and a sheer black top -- dances in front of a mirror, seemingly lacking inspiration to deliver something new and exciting. Until, of course, she cracks open an ice-cold can of Pepsi cola.
Only then is she greeted by 2001 Beyonce, donning the pink leather two-piece she wore in Destiny’s Child’s “Bootylicious” video. In another mirror, Beyonce circa “Crazy in Love” struts in, while Sasha Fierce drops by to represent “Single Ladies.” Before she knows it, Bey is surrounded by numerous versions of her former self, while she delivers the tagline “Embrace your past, but live for now.”
The ad, titled “Mirrors,” and not to be confused with Justin Timberlake’s hit of the same name, also serves as a preview for Bey’s new song “Grown Woman.” The Timbaland-produced track will be featured on her untitled fifth studio album.
“I had so much fun collaborating with Pepsi,” Beyonce said in a statement. “I got to re-live some of my favorite past characters and looks. It was the first time I saw those costumes in years and it was very emotional. I’m proud of those moments, and they all connect in some way and have helped me evolve into who I am today.”
Email: Sophie.Schillaci@THR.com; Twitter: @SophieSchillaci
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
What's Hot In Music
- New York Mag Goes Bi-weekly! Texas Women and Guns -- Nora Ephron's last -- a Great Christmas Gift -- Bring Back the Automat!
- Martin Scorsese Speaks Frankly to Film Students in Marrakech: "Always Protect That Spark"
- The Pixies Enlist Paz Lenchantin For Tour, Debut 'Another Toe In The Ocean'
- Demi Lovato Admits She Had A Hard Time Writing Her Book
- Weekend Box Office: 'Frozen' Ices Out 'Catching Fire' With $31.6M in Second Week
- Another Very NSFW 'Nymphomaniac' Clip: Jamie Bell Is in the Giving Spirit (VIDEO)
- 'In Secret' Trailer: Oscar Isaac and Elizabeth Olsen Are Killer Lovers (VIDEO)
- 'Star Wars' Fans, Start Saving: Han Solo Gun to Go Up for Auction