Beyonce's Surprise Album Trending Towards No. 1 on Billboard 200
Industry sources tell Billboard the album sold over 80,000 copies in three hours.
This article first appeared on Billboard.com.
The stealth Thursday evening (9 p.m PT) release of Beyonce's self-titled fifth solo studio set is likely headed towards a No. 1 debut on the Billboard 200 when that chart's top 10 is revealed on Wednesday, Dec. 18.
The iTunes exclusive "visual" album, retailing for $15.99 contains 14 tracks -- not available for a la carte purchases until Dec. 20 -- and 14 accompanying videos, along with other bonus video content. As of this morning, no set date has been announced for the CD release to physical retailers or of its availability on other digital download sites.
In just a three-hour sales window (closing at midnight Friday PT), Beyonce reportedly sold over 80,000 copies, according to industry sources. It's still too early to judge what the set will do over the full three days left in the sales tracking week (which ends Sunday night), but with prior projected leader, Blame It All On My Roots: Five Decades Of Influences by Garth Brooks, estimated to shift 150,000-160,000 units, Beyonce is already halfway to that sum. And in the time it would take someone to fly from New York to Miami.
The album release was so heavily guarded, that reportedly only a dozen or so members of her Sony Records family were even aware of the set being pushed to iTunes yesterday evening.
Beyonce's last studio set 4 sold 310,000 in its debut week in July of 2011, but that was with a full sales week and a marketing/media push leading up to the release. It is an interesting commentary on the influence of social media in today's world if Beyonce can come close to that sum with just social buzz driving the project instead of weeks of traditional media promotion normally part of the album release playbook.
Titans of Comic-Con: Stars Re-Create Classic Characters (Photos)
- Exclusive Portraits of Robert Griffin III, Ronda Rousey, Kareem Abdul-Jabbar (Photos)
- MOBA: Inside the Biggest Sporting Event You've Never Heard Of (Photos)
- Emmy Awards 2014: The Nominees (Photos)
- Hollywood's Notable Deaths of 2014 (Photos)
What's Hot In Music
- What Does David Letterman's Retirement Mean for the Future of Late Night TV?
- 13 Stars Who Got Their Starts On MTV (PHOTOS)
- Dwayne Johnson Facts: 29 Things You (Probably) Don't Know About The Rock
- Best of Late Night TV: Dwayne Johnson's Fainting Spell and Morgan Freeman's Helium Balloon Voice (VIDEO)
- 'Hunger Games: Mockinghay' Teaser Trailer Debuts at Comic-Con - See an Awesome Hologram Video!
- Chloe Moretz & Kellan Lutz Get the Fans Pumped at Comic-Con's MTVu Fandom Awards!
- Kesha Teases New Music on 'The Tonight Show': 'It's Super Top Secret & Awesome'
- Kings of Leon Perform Their Hit Songs on 'Good Morning America' - Watch Now!