Billy Joel Performs 'New York State of Mind' With Vanderbilt Student (Video)
The request from fan Michael Pollack prompted an “OK” from the singer-songwriter.
Billy Joel went to Vanderbilt University in January for “An Evening of Questions and Answers and a Little Bit of Music” and got all three from Vanderbilt University freshman Michael Pollack.
The aspiring artist told Joel that his favorite song was “New York State of Mind.”
"I was able to play with Richie Cannata [Joel’s saxophonist] many times in New York City, and I was wondering if I could play with you?” asked Pollack. The “Piano Man” consented with a nonchalant “OK,” and the audience responded with a roar of applause, as the fan made his way up to his idol onstage.
The ovation didn’t end there. Pollack played a flawless rendition on the piano, while Joel sang the song from his fourth studio album, 1976’s Turnstiles.
When it was over, Joel offered his own applause: “That’s Michael Pollack. Remember that name. Nice going, Michael. [The] guy’s got chops.”
Watch the feel-good moment below.
Health & Hollywood
THR @ TORONTO
What's Hot In Music
- 'Sons of Anarchy's' Kim Coates Says the Final Season Is 'Full Out, Full Throttle, Wiping Everybody Out'
- Krispy Kreme Celebrates 'Ghostbusters' 30th Anniversary With Limited Edition Doughnuts
- Extended 'Revenge' Season 4 Trailer Proves 'What Goes Around Comes Around' (VIDEO)
- Prepare to Swoon Over Benedict Cumberbatch Dressed as Mr. Darcy (PHOTO)
- Benedict Cumberbatch Gives Up His Clothes for Charity - See the Sexy Photo!
- Karlie Kloss to 'Lucky': 'I Have a Lot I Want to Do in the Next 5 Years'
- Lupita Nyong'o Tickles Elmo for New 'Sesame Street' Clip About Loving Your Own Skin
- Mindy Kaling Reveals She Was Up for Maya Rudolph's 'Bridesmaids' Role: 'It Was a Heartbreaker'