Billy Joel Performs 'New York State of Mind' With Vanderbilt Student (Video)
The request from fan Michael Pollack prompted an “OK” from the singer-songwriter.
Billy Joel went to Vanderbilt University in January for “An Evening of Questions and Answers and a Little Bit of Music” and got all three from Vanderbilt University freshman Michael Pollack.
The aspiring artist told Joel that his favorite song was “New York State of Mind.”
"I was able to play with Richie Cannata [Joel’s saxophonist] many times in New York City, and I was wondering if I could play with you?” asked Pollack. The “Piano Man” consented with a nonchalant “OK,” and the audience responded with a roar of applause, as the fan made his way up to his idol onstage.
The ovation didn’t end there. Pollack played a flawless rendition on the piano, while Joel sang the song from his fourth studio album, 1976’s Turnstiles.
When it was over, Joel offered his own applause: “That’s Michael Pollack. Remember that name. Nice going, Michael. [The] guy’s got chops.”
Watch the feel-good moment below.
Titans of Comic-Con: Stars Re-Create Classic Characters (Photos)
- Exclusive Portraits of Robert Griffin III, Ronda Rousey, Kareem Abdul-Jabbar (Photos)
- MOBA: Inside the Biggest Sporting Event You've Never Heard Of (Photos)
- Emmy Awards 2014: The Nominees (Photos)
- Hollywood's Notable Deaths of 2014 (Photos)
What's Hot In Music
- Rita Ora and Calvin Harris: Working Together After a Breakup?
- From College To The Bright Lights Of Broadway: Meet 'Rock Of Ages' Leading Lady, Carrie St. Louis
- Blake Lively Pulls A Beyonce By Revealing Wedding Dress In Preserve Video
- Kristen Bell's Mary Poppins Takes On Minimum Wage With A Spoonful Of Sugar
- Best of Late Night TV: Dwayne Johnson's Fainting Spell and Morgan Freeman's Helium Balloon Voice (VIDEO)
- The 10 Most Important 'Interstellar' Mysteries Revealed at Comic-Con 2014
- 'Hot Tub Time Machine 2' Trailer: Back To the Hilariously Outrageous Future (VIDEO)
- There's Still Hope For an 'X-Files' Reboot