Billy Joel Performs 'New York State of Mind' With Vanderbilt Student (Video)
The request from fan Michael Pollack prompted an “OK” from the singer-songwriter.
Billy Joel went to Vanderbilt University in January for “An Evening of Questions and Answers and a Little Bit of Music” and got all three from Vanderbilt University freshman Michael Pollack.
The aspiring artist told Joel that his favorite song was “New York State of Mind.”
"I was able to play with Richie Cannata [Joel’s saxophonist] many times in New York City, and I was wondering if I could play with you?” asked Pollack. The “Piano Man” consented with a nonchalant “OK,” and the audience responded with a roar of applause, as the fan made his way up to his idol onstage.
The ovation didn’t end there. Pollack played a flawless rendition on the piano, while Joel sang the song from his fourth studio album, 1976’s Turnstiles.
When it was over, Joel offered his own applause: “That’s Michael Pollack. Remember that name. Nice going, Michael. [The] guy’s got chops.”
Watch the feel-good moment below.
Hollywood Goes Broadway
What Hollywood Earns
What's Hot In Music
- My Dream Duets: Chatting with Barry Manilow, Andre Cymone and Carroll Matthews Exclusives and The Hawthorne Chronicles
- 'Wasn't He Gay?': A Revealing Question About Mister Rogers
- 'Walking Dead' Star Laurie Holden Is A Real-Life Hero
- Kat Dennings On Kim Kardashian: 'I've Never Seen An Ass Like That In My Life'
- Jennifer Garner & Michelle Monaghan Help Honor Matthew McConaughey with Special Award!
- Eva Longoria & Cameron Diaz Show Huge Support For Hillary Clinton's Fundraiser
- Anne Hathaway & Jessica Chastain Rep 'Interstellar' at American Cinematheque Event!
- Reese Witherspoon & Kate Hudson Support Their Leading Man Matthew McConaughey!