Blink-182 Cancels Bamboozle Appearance, My Chemical Romance to Perform Instead
Comedian Andrew Dice Clay, also appearing at the festival, offers advice to Blink-182 drummer Travis Barker, who is recovering from a tonsillectomy.
After drummer Travis Barker’s emergency tonsillectomy, Blink-182 has canceled multiple tour dates, including a headlining appearance at the Bamboozle Festival in Asbury Park. Filling the void, local New Jersey heroes My Chemical Romance will perform May 19, the second night of the festival.
“Blink-182 will be greatly missed, and all of us here wish Travis a speedy recovery," the concert promoters said in a statement.
My Chemical Romance headlined Bamboozle in 2005 and 2007, when the festival took place in the Meadowlands parking lot at Giants Stadium in East Rutherford, N.J. The emo group is still touring in support of its 2010 release, Danger Days: The True Lives of the Fabulous Killjoys.
The Bamboozle Festival runs May 18-20 on the beach and boardwalk at North Beach Asbury Park, N.J. Its diverse lineup includes Bon Jovi, Foo Fighters, Skrillex, Incubus, Brand New, The Gaslight Anthem, Mac Miller, DJ Pauly D from Jersey Shore and comedian Andrew Dice Clay.
“I hope Travis is ok,” Clay tells THR.
The funnyman is slated to open for Bon Jovi on the final night of the festival.
“I love that guy. He is one of the top drummers in the country," he said. "He is phenomenal. I am a drummer, and he’s one of the greats.”
The show would have Blink-182's first appearance at the festival, said Bamboozle talent agent Christian McKnight.
“For the Bamboozle generation, Blink is one of the biggest bands in that genre,” he said. “Blink is the iconic band a lot of kids grew up on and got a lot of those kids into music.”
One of those kids included Clay’s son, Max, a drummer mentored by Barker at an early age. “Travis used to listen to him [play] on the phone when he was 10 years old,” he said.
Clay said he sympathizes with Barker and offered some advice. “I had my tonsils taken out when I was 5,” said the comedian. “My doctor said to eat ice cream, and I asked my mother for a bagel. But Travis should stay away from bagels for a few days.”
What's Hot In Music
- The 9 Best 'Sharknado' GIFs Ever
- Best of Late Night TV: Daniel Radcliffe Cuts a Stranger's Hair, Vin Diesel Gives Language Lessons (VIDEO)
- New DVD Blu-ray: 'Noah,' 'The Other Woman,' 'Twin Peaks'
- Billy Bob Thornton Wants To Guest Star on 'Big Bang Theory' and 'Game of Thrones' and We Hope His Dreams Come True
- Jessica Alba Puts Her Unbelievable Bikini Body on Display for 'Maxim' September 2014
- Khloe Kardashian Also Throws Shade at Adrienne Bailon: 'Don't Kick My Brother When He's Down'
- Doutzen Kroes & Husband Sunnery James Welcome Baby Girl Myllena Mae - See the First Family Photo!
- Drew Barrymore Releases Statement After Half-Sister Jessica's Sudden Passing at 47