Blink-182's Travis Barker Won't Fly, Misses Australia Tour
"I still haven't gotten over the horrific events that took place the last time I flew when my plane crashed and 4 people were killed," the drummer stated.
Travis Barker won’t be taking his seat behind the drumkit for Blink-182’s upcoming Australia tour.
The dynamic drummer has developed a phobia of flying after he was a passenger on the fatal September 2008 plane crash in South Carolina which killed four others. Barker was badly injured in the crash and another survivor, Adam Goldstein – aka DJ AM -- has since died of an accidental drug overdose.
Clearly Barker’s not yet overcome the experience. He never even joined his bandmates on the flight Down Under this past weekend.
“I'm sorry to announce I won't be joining Blink-182 on this Australian tour,” he writes on his Facebook page. “I still haven't gotten over the horrific events that took place the last time I flew when my plane crashed and 4 people were killed, two being my best friends.”
He continues, “I gave the band my blessing to take another drummer if they still wanted to do the tour without me. I hope to come to Australia again some day perhaps by ship if need be. Unfortunately, there wasn't a boat that worked with the schedule this time around. Once again I'm sorry to all the fans.”
After the plane crash, Barker sued claiming the companies improperly operated and maintained the Learjet that overshot the runway and burst into flames. He’s since settled his lawsuit.
- John Oliver on the Luxurious 'Freedom' of HBO, His Complicated Relationship With NYC
- The Hollywood Reporter's 35 Most Powerful People in New York Media 2014
- Cannes Preview: The Hot Movies in the Running to Hit the Croisette
- CBS' $67 Million Man: Does Leslie Moonves' Moolah Make Sense?
- Glenn Beck Moves Into Movie Production (Exclusive)
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
What's Hot In Music
- This Week’s Best Game of Thrones Reader Comments: ‘The Lion and the Rose’
- Douglas Coupland on Being a Visual Artist, the ‘Torture’ of Interviews, and Unintended Side Effects
- Alan Thicke on His New Reality Sitcom and Being ‘Considerably More Boring Than Jason Seaver’
- 6 Forgotten Teen Films of the Late ’90s and Early ’00s
- Here's the 'Green Inferno' Trailer You've Been Waiting For (EXCLUSIVE)
- The Final 'X-Men: Days of Future Past' Trailer Is Jam-Packed With Mutants (VIDEO)
- 'A Haunted House 2' Preview: Don't Sneak Up on Marlon Wayans (EXCLUSIVE)
- Move Over Johnny Depp, Here Are 11 Movie Stars Who Already Own the Internet