B.o.B., O.A.R. Team Up for Olympics Song 'Champions' (Video)
The track was recorded for Duracell’s “Rely On Copper To Go For The Gold” initiative in support of the 2012 London Games.
It’s official: We can now start the countdown to the 2012 Summer Olympics.
B.o.B. and O.A.R. unleashed a freshly-minted collaboration on Tuesday, the empowering anthem titled “Champions,” in support of this year’s London games. The track is being released as part of Duracell’s “Rely On Copper To Go For The Gold” initiative, which gives Olympic fans the chance to support their nation’s athletes by posting encouraging videos, photos and text messages on Facebook and Twitter.
“I think the song is very synonymous with challenges that many people face in life even beyond the field, beyond the court and beyond the sports,” B.o.B. told Yahoo Music Canada. “It’s the same place you have to dig from and challenge from when you’re an athlete or at an Olympian level. This is the best the world had to offer.”
O.A.R. frontman Marc Roberge revealed that his band had been working on the tune with Diji Parq for about a year before Duracell called. When the brand requested an anthemic song for the Olympics, Maryland-based O.A.R. immediately revisited their unfinished track.
“It just seemed so perfect for the message, the brand and the Olympics,” Roberge said. As for adding rapper B.o.B. to the project, he added: “This is an artist that is not just a rapper, not just a musician, not just a singer or a songwriter, he’s done it all.”
Watch Roberge and the Atlanta-based rapper hit the studio in the video below, which features a first-listen of the new track.
“This record, sonically, was intended to sound regal, like something that kind encompasses the Olympics,” Roberge said of the song. “When you look out along the field, you imagine trumpeters and drums pounding like the opening of the Olympics and that’s what we went for.”
What do you think of the new track? Does it get you pumped up for the summer games?
E-mail: Sophie.Schillaci@thr.com; Twitter: @SophieSchillaci
- Exclusive Portraits of Robert Griffin III, Ronda Rousey, Kareem Abdul-Jabbar (Photos)
- MOBA: Inside the Biggest Sporting Event You've Never Heard Of (Photos)
- 'Girls,' Tatiana Maslany and 18 More of the Biggest Emmy Snubs (Photos)
- Emmy Awards 2014: The Nominees (Photos)
- Hollywood's Notable Deaths of 2014 (Photos)
What's Hot In Music
- Don't Rule Out a 'Sons of Anarchy' Prequel
- Will Ferrell and Adam McKay Are Making Your 'Manimal' Movie Dreams Come True
- We Can't Stop Looking at These Snazzy 'Hunger Games: Mockingjay' Living Portraits
- Matt Lauer Made Rachel McAdams Watch Her 'The Notebook' Audition Tape and It Was Kinda Awkward (VIDEO)