'Breaking Bad' Finale's Last Song Surges With 9,000% Stream Gain
Badfinger's "Baby Blue," which closed the finale of AMC's hit series, also catapulted into the iTunes top 20 within hours of the episode's airing.
Badfinger's "Baby Blue" is suddenly red hot.
The song, which closed the finale of AMC's hit series Breaking Bad on Sunday, Sept. 29, has suddenly risen into the top 20 on iTunes' top songs list and is poised for a return to the Billboard charts this week.
Industry sources suggest the song is set for a nearly 3,000 percent sales gain in the week ending Sept. 29 and sold nearly 5,000 downloads just since Sunday night. Remarkably, that one-day figure should immediately make the 1972 song earn its largest digital sales week ever. It has never sold more than 1,000 downloads in a single week, according to Nielsen SoundScan.
On Spotify, global streams of "Baby Blue" are up 9,000 percent since the East Coast broadcast of the Breaking Bad finale.
The tune was originally a top 20 Billboard Hot 100 hit for the rock band, reaching No. 14 on the chart dated April 29, 1972. It was one of six chart hits for the act. The tune was lifted from the British group's album Straight Up, which was produced by Todd Rundgren and George Harrison. It was released on the Beatles' record label, Apple.
Official sales figures for "Baby Blue" (for the week ending Sept. 29), will be released by SoundScan on Wednesday, Oct. 2. The song could return to the Billboard charts as well, most likely with a placing on the Rock Digital Songs chart.
HOLLYWOOD'S RED CARPET A-LIST
What's Hot In Music
- Everyone Is #Blessed in This Exclusive 'Alexander and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day' Preview (VIDEO)
- Aubrey Plaza Is the Voice of Grumpy Cat in the Lifetime Movie
- 11 TV Drama Mistakes That Even Jack Bauer Couldn't Fix
- Best of Late Night TV: Blake Shelton & Gwen Stefani Lip Sync, Len Goodman Spills 'DWTS' Secrets (VIDEO)
- Will Ferrell Reprising Role of Mugatu in 'Zoolander 2'!
- Kristen Bell's Husband Dax Shepard Got a Bell Tattoo on His Ring Finger in Honor of His Wife!
- French Actor Gerard Depardieu Says He Sometimes Drinks 14 Bottles of Wine a Day
- Reese Witherspoon Goes Floral for 'The Good Lie' Premiere in Washington, DC!