Britney Spears Announces Two-Year Vegas Show, 'Gives Props' to Miley Cyrus
The pop superstar also revealed the release date for her eighth studio album on Tuesday's "Good Morning America."
Britney Spears confirmed weeks of speculation Tuesday morning, announcing that she'd signed a deal for a two-year residency at Las Vegas' Planet Hollywood.
Spears made the announcement on Good Morning America, where she was surprised by more than 1,000 fans -- wearing "...Baby One More Time"-inspired outfits -- in the Las Vegas desert.
The pop superstar's show, Britney, Piece of Me, will be an action-packed hybrid of club and theater, featuring her greatest hits and a few new songs.
"We wanted the environment to be that way so people could come and have a good time and stand up and feel like they're in the show with me," Spears told GMA. "I love Vegas. The energy here is really, really good."
Spears' two-year stint begins Dec. 27 and will include 50 shows, but she told GMA she's not yet sure if she'll move there full-time.
Fans who go to Vegas to check out her show may also get a glimpse of her son Preston, whom Spears said "will probably be on stage."
Spears also revealed that her still-untitled eighth studio album will be released Dec. 3, the day after her 32nd birthday. The first single, "Work Bitch," debuted this weekend.
The album will also feature songs about her breakup with manager-turned-fiance Jason Trawick.
"I wrote a lot about [that]," Spears said. "I think everybody can relate to that. I think to them, they want to know that a superstar goes through the same process of a breakup as they do."
Spears, who's been criticized for racy performances of her own throughout her career, also weighed in on another former child star embroiled in a similar controversy: Miley Cyrus.
"I think any time you do a performance that is memorable, you're going to have criticism," Spears said of Cyrus' performance with Robin Thicke at the MTV Video Music Awards. "I think she's doing her thing, being herself. So I give props to her."
Health & Hollywood
THR @ TORONTO
What's Hot In Music
- Music Turns Me on: A Conversation With the Hot Band Dopapod
- Ira Sach's New Film "Love is Strange" Screens at the Deauville American Film Festival: Alfred Molina and John Lithgow as a Married Couple in Love
- 'Dancing With The Stars' Contestant Alfonso Ribeiro Proves Carlton Still Got It
- 16 'New Girl' Facts That'll Make You Love It Even More
- What Every '90s Kid Needs to See in the 'I Know What You Did Last Summer' Reboot
- What's On TV Tonight: 'The Mindy Project' and 'New Girl' Season Premieres, 'Sons of Anarchy,' and More Picks
- 'Sons of Anarchy's' Kim Coates Says the Final Season Is 'Full Out, Full Throttle, Wiping Everybody Out'
- Krispy Kreme Celebrates 'Ghostbusters' 30th Anniversary With Limited Edition Doughnuts