Britney Spears and Christina Aguilera Won't Make Cameos on Madonna's Tour
UPDATED: The trio of pop divas hasn't performed together since 2003's VMAs.
Flash back to 2003's MTV Video Music Awards: Madonna orchestrated the night's most-talked about moment by kissing both Britney Spears and Christina Aguilera onstage during a medley of the pop queen's songs including "Like a Virgin."
It was a symbolic passing of the pop-star torch, and it made headlines for days, cementing Madonna's relevance amongst younger, radio-friendly competition like Spears and Aguilera, who were then dominating the music charts.
Nine years after that kiss seen 'round the world, Madonna could be gathering the former Mickey Mouse Club co-stars together for a reunion of sorts: so suggested a fan's (extremely dubious) Twitter feed, updating followers on the singer's MDNA tour, in buzzing that Aguilera will appear at Madonna's concerts in Los Angeles on Oct. 10 and 11 for a "special performance," while Spears will "attend" the show on the 10th.
Squashing such hopes, Madonna's rep, Liz Rosenberg, tells THR: "This is not true."
Spears' spokesman, Jeff Raymond, and Aguilera's publicist, Nicole Perez-Krueger, echoed that sentiment.
Rosenberg offered no further details other than to say that she was in the process of trying to remove the fans' tweets.
Meanwhile, Spears is preparing to make her official debut as a judge on The X Factor alongside Simon Cowell, L.A. Reid and Demi Lovato. The second season of Cowell's revamped series premieres Sept. 12. The same week, on Sept. 10, Aguilera will reprise her role as a mentor on NBC's hit singing competition The Voice. (Cue the old Britney-versus-Xtina chatter.)
As for Madonna, she's wrapped up her MDNA concerts in Europe by sending olive branches to Elton John and a French right-wing politician, and joining the chorus of protesters urging Russia to free Pussy Riot. She launches the North American leg of her tour on Tuesday in Philadelphia.
- Scarlett Johansson, Lupita Nyong'o in Talks for Disney's 'Jungle Book' (Exclusive)
- Bryan Singer Breaks Silence on Abuse Claims: 'Outrageous, Vicious and Completely False'
- The Scene and Stars at the Tribeca Film Festival (Photos)
- Summer Movie Preview: Will Godzilla or Spider-Man (Or Angelina Jolie?) Dominate Your Cineplex?
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
What's Hot In Music
- Echoes Of The Outlaw Roadshow: Talking with Counting Crows' Adam Duritz and Toad The Wet Spocket's Glen Phillips
- Smells like Nostalgia: A Look at the Nirvana Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Induction
- Netflix Joining Programming Lineup Of 3 U.S. Cable-TV Services
- 'Grey's Anatomy' Recap: No Good News in 'Change of Heart'