Bruce Springsteen Elected to American Academy of Arts and Sciences
The New Jersey rocker will be inducted along with an elite group of 198 members, which includes some of the world's most accomplished scholars, scientists, writers, artists, and civic, corporate, and philanthropic leaders.
Bruce Springsteen and Pete Seeger have shared the stage before, but the two men will reunite in October for a different affair as the singer/songwriters will both be elected into the American Academy of Arts and Sciences.
Springsteen famously paid homage to legendary folk singer in 2006 with We Shall Overcome: The Seeger Sessions, a record that enthusiastically covered songs made popular by the 93-year old singer. The two traded vocals on "This Land is Your Land" at the "We Are One" concert preceding the presidential inauguration of Barack Obama in 2009.
Springsteen will be elected along with an elite group of 198 members, which includes some of the world's most accomplished scholars, scientists, writers, artists, and civic, corporate, and philanthropic leaders. His name will now forever be linked with previous elected "doers and thinkers" from previous generations, including George Washington and the German-born but adopted New Jersey-an Albert Einstein.
In Humanities and the Arts, the class of 2013 includes: novelist Martin Amis; novelist and essayist Wendell Berry; philosopher David Chalmers; director and actor Robert De Niro; Pulitzer Prize-winning poets Annie Dillard and U.S. Poet Laureate Natasha Trethewey; actor Sally Field; Michael Fishbane, a scholar of Jewish studies; operatic soprano Renee Fleming; jazz musician Herbie Hancock; documentary filmmaker Albert Maysles; French history scholar Sarah Maza; linguist David Perlmutter; artist Judy Pfaff; Stuart Schwartz, a leading historian of colonial slavery; and artist Yoshiaki Shimizu.
The new class will be inducted at a ceremony on October 12, 2013, at the Academy's headquarters in Cambridge, Massachusetts.
- Exclusive Portraits of Robert Griffin III, Ronda Rousey, Kareem Abdul-Jabbar (Photos)
- MOBA: Inside the Biggest Sporting Event You've Never Heard Of (Photos)
- 'Girls,' Tatiana Maslany and 18 More of the Biggest Emmy Snubs (Photos)
- Emmy Awards 2014: The Nominees (Photos)
- Hollywood's Notable Deaths of 2014 (Photos)
What's Hot In Music
- Best of Late Night TV: John Stamos' New 'Manny' Service, Dwayne Johnson's Thigh Workout, Ricky Gervais' Marriage Apathy (VIDEO)
- Don't Rule Out a 'Sons of Anarchy' Prequel
- Will Ferrell and Adam McKay Are Making Your 'Manimal' Movie Dreams Come True
- We Can't Stop Looking at These Snazzy 'Hunger Games: Mockingjay' Living Portraits