Bruno Mars Super Bowl Halftime Teaser Debuts (Video)
The trailer chronicles the singer's rise to global superstardom and includes the Feb. 2, 2014, date.
It's official: Bruno Mars will play the Pepsi Super Bowl XLVIII Halftime Show on Feb. 2, 2014.
Reports of the "Locked Out of Heaven" singer's booking started circulating when the Los Angeles Times broke the news Friday, and were confirmed over the weekend. Mars himself made the announcement in Times Square around 12:30 ET on Fox NFL Sunday, alongside co-hosts Curt Menefee and Terry Bradshaw and analysts Howie Long, Jimmy Johnson, Michael Strahan and Jay Glazer.
A minute-long trailer chronicling Mars' rise from childhood Elvis impersonator to global superstar was posted shortly after the announcement to Mars' YouTube channel. Coincidentally, Mars became the fastest male artist to score five No. 1s on the Billboard Hot 100 since Elvis Presley.
The Super Bowl is traditionally the most watched U.S. television event every year, but the halftime show often scores higher ratings than the game itself. Madonna's 2012 performance currently ranks as the most watched event in U.S. television history, with over 114 million viewers tuning in. Beyonce's 2013 performance, the first halftime sponsored by Pepsi, attracted 110.5 million.
With Super Bowl XLVIII coming to the New York area next year, the city should expect a lot more music before Bruno Mars takes the stage. The NFL is prepping a series of concerts in at least four of the five NYC boroughs plus New Jersey in the days leading up to the Super Bowl, with VH1 as its broadcast partner. Look for brands like Bud Light, Pepsi, Citi and others to host their own music-related activity during Super Bowl Week as well.
Titans of Comic-Con: Stars Re-Create Classic Characters (Photos)
- Exclusive Portraits of Robert Griffin III, Ronda Rousey, Kareem Abdul-Jabbar (Photos)
- MOBA: Inside the Biggest Sporting Event You've Never Heard Of (Photos)
- Emmy Awards 2014: The Nominees (Photos)
- Hollywood's Notable Deaths of 2014 (Photos)
What's Hot In Music
- 'Teen Wolf' Fans Can Barely Contain Their Excitement At Comic Con
- Christopher Nolan, Matthew McConaughey Surprise Comic Con With New 'Interstellar' Trailer
- Pedro Pascal Really Wishes He Were Still On 'Game Of Thrones,' Even In Small Part
- Morgan Freeman And Jimmy Fallon Talking On Helium Will Make Your Day
- Best of Late Night TV: Dwayne Johnson's Fainting Spell and Morgan Freeman's Helium Balloon Voice (VIDEO)
- The 10 Most Important 'Interstellar' Mysteries Revealed at Comic-Con 2014
- 'Hot Tub Time Machine 2' Trailer: Back To the Hilariously Outrageous Future (VIDEO)
- There's Still Hope For an 'X-Files' Reboot