When DJs Go Crazy: 'Call Me Maybe,' 'Axel F' As You've Never Heard Them Before (Audio)
Feast your ears on a 147-decker "Call Me Maybe" sandwich.
Blessed be the Internet that allows us random and, seemingly purposeless, media.
We recently caught wind (via Dangerous Minds) of what's either the best or worst remix of Carly Rae Jepsen's "Call Me Maybe" that will ever exist. It comes courtesy of the Baltimore experimental DJ and producer Dan Deacon and is simply the a cappella track from Jepsen's summer hit layered over itself 147 times exponentially.
The track starts out feeling totally normal, and then starts again, and then again and again and again and again, layering over itself for what feels like eternity. Remarkably, the song's hooks still stick out, even as the mess worsens and worsens, slowly disintegrating into a chaotic clutter of noise.
One's mind continues to try to make sense of the thing, latching onto just one of the tracks to follow or merely listening for the inescapable chorus line until, eventually, all hope is lost and he’s left with a brain-scratching rhythm and razor-like distortion. This is the sound of Top 40 madness and probably the best ever way to clear a dance floor. For more pop turned on its head, visit L.A. experimentalist Kyle Mabson's Soundcloud page, where this track was originally uploaded.
As if the web was a hosted competition of strange ideas, another experiment in sound getting attention is the sweet sound of music played on eight floppy disk drives. Most recently this ongoing endeavor led YouTube user MrSolidSnake745 to recreate the Beverly Hills Cop theme, and it sounds pretty good. Past efforts have included the Game of Thrones theme, which has more than 1 million views, the Ghostbusters theme, and, of course, Psy's "Gangnam Style."
Naturally, some questions arise:
How? Presumably, the disk drives are all run by a mapped MIDI file, but anything beyond that is unclear to us.
Why? That remains a mystery.
Titans of Comic-Con: Stars Re-Create Classic Characters (Photos)
- Exclusive Portraits of Robert Griffin III, Ronda Rousey, Kareem Abdul-Jabbar (Photos)
- MOBA: Inside the Biggest Sporting Event You've Never Heard Of (Photos)
- Emmy Awards 2014: The Nominees (Photos)
- Hollywood's Notable Deaths of 2014 (Photos)
What's Hot In Music
- Stop Worrying And Learn To Love These 9 Clichés
- 'Family Guy'/'Simpsons' Crossover Episode Sneak Peek Is Pure Bliss
- Sexual Harassment At Comic-Con Leads To Call For New Convention Policy
- A Conversation with CBS This Morning's Anthony Mason, Plus Chase Rice, Gentle Giant's Derek Shulman & William Gage Blanton
- Weekend Box Office: Scarlett Johannson's 'Lucy' Beats The Rock's 'Hercules'
- All About That Mind-Blowing 'Avengers: Age of Ultron' Footage From Comic-Con 2014
- 10 Facts About 'Godzilla 2,' 'Crimson Peak,' 'Skull Island,' and More, Straight From Comic-Con 2014
- Everything Revealed About the 'Goosebumps' Movie at Comic-Con 2014