When DJs Go Crazy: 'Call Me Maybe,' 'Axel F' As You've Never Heard Them Before (Audio)
Feast your ears on a 147-decker "Call Me Maybe" sandwich.
Blessed be the Internet that allows us random and, seemingly purposeless, media.
We recently caught wind (via Dangerous Minds) of what's either the best or worst remix of Carly Rae Jepsen's "Call Me Maybe" that will ever exist. It comes courtesy of the Baltimore experimental DJ and producer Dan Deacon and is simply the a cappella track from Jepsen's summer hit layered over itself 147 times exponentially.
The track starts out feeling totally normal, and then starts again, and then again and again and again and again, layering over itself for what feels like eternity. Remarkably, the song's hooks still stick out, even as the mess worsens and worsens, slowly disintegrating into a chaotic clutter of noise.
One's mind continues to try to make sense of the thing, latching onto just one of the tracks to follow or merely listening for the inescapable chorus line until, eventually, all hope is lost and he’s left with a brain-scratching rhythm and razor-like distortion. This is the sound of Top 40 madness and probably the best ever way to clear a dance floor. For more pop turned on its head, visit L.A. experimentalist Kyle Mabson's Soundcloud page, where this track was originally uploaded.
As if the web was a hosted competition of strange ideas, another experiment in sound getting attention is the sweet sound of music played on eight floppy disk drives. Most recently this ongoing endeavor led YouTube user MrSolidSnake745 to recreate the Beverly Hills Cop theme, and it sounds pretty good. Past efforts have included the Game of Thrones theme, which has more than 1 million views, the Ghostbusters theme, and, of course, Psy's "Gangnam Style."
Naturally, some questions arise:
How? Presumably, the disk drives are all run by a mapped MIDI file, but anything beyond that is unclear to us.
Why? That remains a mystery.
Fall TV Preview
What's Hot In Music
- Cersei's Major 'Game Of Thrones' Nude Scene Is Officially Going To Happen
- Kim Kardashian Takes Her Crop Top To The Next Level With A Deep V-Neck
- Famous Women Point Out Exactly Why Leaking Nude Photos Is So Very Wrong
- Melissa Rivers Confirms Mother Joan Is On Life Support, Thanks Fans For Their Kindness
- Rosie Huntington-Whiteley & Jason Statham Grab Brunch in Malibu for Labor Day!
- Uma Thurman Joins Co-Stars to Premiere 'Nymphomaniac - Vol. II' at Venice Film Festival
- Sofia Vergara & Joe Manganiello Hold Hands After Romantic Mexico Getaway
- Lady Gaga Reunites with Pet Pooch Asia at LAX Airport - Watch the Adorable Video!