Carly Rae Jepsen to Be Honored With Billboard's 'Rising Star' Award
After a year full of musical successes, the "Call Me Maybe" singer/songwriter adds another achievement to her resume.
Carly Rae Jepsen will be awarded for her break-out year at the annual Billboard Women in Music Event next month. The singer is receiving the publication's Rising Star Award, joining Billboard's Woman of the Year, Katy Perry, to receive her honor.
Jepsen rose to fame in her native Canada with a third place finish on Canadian Idol in 2007, releasing her debut album Tug of War in 2008. The world, however, began to take notice of Jepsen earlier this year when fellow Canuck Justin Bieber praised her infections "Call Me Maybe" single on Twitter. After being signed by Bieber's manager Scooter Braun, Jepsen's single spent nine weeks at No. 1 on Billboard's Hot 100 -- a record for a Canadian artist.
Jepsen followed up the success of her first single with "Good Time," a collaboration with Owl City, which achieved No. 3 on the Pop Songs chart and No. 8 on the Hot 100. Her subsequent album, Kiss, debuted at No. 6 on the Billboard 200 after its release last month.
Of her success, Jepsen says, "As a singer-songwriter having grown up listening to and being influenced by countless female artists, I am truly honored to be recognized by Billboard with this award, I hope to inspire others through my music the way those artists have inspired me."
This year marks the 7th anniversary of the Billboard's Women in Music Event, which honors the most accomplished and gifted women in music. Jepsen is the 5th woman to receive The Rising Star award, following in the footsteps of Nicki Minaj, Jazmine Sullivan, Lady Gaga and Colbie Caillat, who was the first woman to receive the award in 2008.
This year's event will be held on Nov. 30 at Capitale in New York City.
Titans of Comic-Con: Stars Re-Create Classic Characters (Photos)
- Exclusive Portraits of Robert Griffin III, Ronda Rousey, Kareem Abdul-Jabbar (Photos)
- MOBA: Inside the Biggest Sporting Event You've Never Heard Of (Photos)
- Emmy Awards 2014: The Nominees (Photos)
- Hollywood's Notable Deaths of 2014 (Photos)
What's Hot In Music
- 50 Shades of Grey and The Devil Wears Prada Are Basically the Same Movie
- Chris Carter on Area 51, Playing Softball With Brandon Tartikoff, and the TV Musical in His Closet
- Evangeline Lilly Gets Candid About Lost, Writing, and Comic-Book Breasts
- 7 Reasons Weird Al Won the Internet and Topped the Charts
- 'Lucy' Review: How Much of Your Brain Do You Need to Enjoy the Scarlett Johansson Movie?
- Here's Another Creepy 'Sons of Anarchy' Teaser to Analyze Before Season 7 (VIDEO)
- Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle's Pizza Launcher Debuts At Comic-Con
- Miles Teller Strives to Be One of the Greats in New 'Whiplash' Trailer (VIDEO)
- Dakota Fanning on 'Very Good Girl' Sex Scenes: 'I Wasn’t Very Uncomfortable With It'
- Lily Allen Dedicates 'As Long As I Got You' Music Video to Glastonbury Memories - Watch Now!
- Azealia Banks & Jourdan Dunn Are Navy Ladies for French Connection #NeverMissATrick Launch Party
- Jennifer Hudson Advises 'Don't Expect Respect When You Don't Respect Nothing!'