Carly Rae Jepsen on Her Song of Summer, New Album and Craziest Moment (Video)
The Canadian singer behind the infectious “Call Me Maybe” tells THR that her forthcoming release came out “a little dancier” than she ever intended.
Carly Rae Jepsen is officially on her way to pop-royalty status with the infectious, impossible-to-get-out-of-your-head, No. 1-charted summer anthem “Call Me Maybe,” which has dominated the radio airwaves all summer and launched the relative newcomer into global superstardom.
Speaking with The Hollywood Reporter at the Teen Choice Awards, Justin Bieber’s protege expressed excitement in working with super-producer Max Martin and revealed that her next album (via Bieber’s Schoolboy Records in the U.S.) is going to be a bit “dancier” than even she expected. Her debut, Tug of War, was released via Vancouver-based 604 Records in 2008.
“I’m in the home stretch of it,” she said of recording the new album, which is expected to street this fall. “It surprised me, actually. ‘Call Me Maybe’ is definitely a fair representation of the general sound, but we went a little dancier than I ever intended to go – and I had a lot of fun doing it.”
Currently in Sweden working with Martin, which Jepsen describes as a “dream come true,” the 26-year-old is preparing to hit the road with Bieber for his Believe tour. For his part, the Biebs will also make a guest appearance on Jepsen’s album.
With so much success happening so quickly, THR asked Jepsen what her craziest moment has been thus far.
“Mexico City,” she responded after a brief moment of thought. “I got to play a show with Justin Bieber and there were 300,000 people there. … It was pretty wild.”
We can only imagine there are plenty more wild moments to come.
Email: Sophie.Schillaci@thr.com; Twitter: @SophieSchillaci
Titans of Comic-Con: Stars Re-Create Classic Characters (Photos)
- Exclusive Portraits of Robert Griffin III, Ronda Rousey, Kareem Abdul-Jabbar (Photos)
- MOBA: Inside the Biggest Sporting Event You've Never Heard Of (Photos)
- Emmy Awards 2014: The Nominees (Photos)
- Hollywood's Notable Deaths of 2014 (Photos)
What's Hot In Music
- Neil LaBute Q&A: The Controversial Playwright Talks About His L.A. Theater Takeover
- Top Off-Broadway Shows to Watch in NYC This Season: Part One
- Megan Fox Is Not Thrilled About The 'Girl Power' That Was Cut From 'TMNT'
- Keith Olbermann's Powerful Speech About Lack Of Respect For Women In Sports Is A Must Watch