Carrie Underwood Gets 'Blown Away' to Oz in New Music Video
“It was all about having subtle references,” the former “American Idol” winner says of the plaid shirt and ruby slippers worn in her latest clip.
Sticking close to the theme of her dark power ballad “Blown Away,” Carrie Underwood’s latest music video features a hurricane that, quite literally, blows her away.
The clip opens in black and white as Underwood and her boozing father face off at the kitchen table. From there, Underwood croons, “Shatter every window till it’s all blown away. Every brick, every board, every slammin’ door, blown away. ‘Till there’s nothing left standing, nothing left of yesterday. Every tear-soaked whiskey memory blown away.”
The video obviously pays tribute to The Wizard of Oz between the changing color scheme, a broken yellow brick road and the beautiful light at the end of the tunnel. In an interview with E! News, which exclusively debuted the video on Monday, Underwood explains some of the smaller nods to the classic story.
“We wanted to create this modern-day, tragic Wizard of Oz mini-movie,” Underwood explained.
“It was all about having subtle references,” she added. “I’ve got the plaid shirt on, I’ve got red shoes. They’re not like sparkly red heels, but it’s all about bringing that into this year, into this album, into ‘Blown Away.’”
Directed by Randee St. Nicholas, the video was filmed in a rural town outside of Nashville, Tenn.
What do you think of Underwood’s latest offering? Watch the full video here and sound off in the comments section below.
Fall TV Preview
What's Hot In Music
- McKayla Maroney Was Reportedly Underage In Hacked Nude Photos
- Richard Lewis Talks Richard Lewis: Bundle of Nerves: Mighty Movie Podcast
- Justin Verlander Addresses Online Photo Hacking Of Him And Girlfriend Kate Upton
- Internet Tries Donating In 'Honor' Of Leaked Jennifer Lawrence Photos, Nonprofit's Not Having It
- Rita Ora & Cara Delevingne Flaunt Their Long Legs at GQ Men of the Year Awards 2014
- Gerard Butler Makes Hugo Boss Look So Good at GQ Men of the Year Awards 2014
- Mindy Kaling to 'Flare': If I Want 3 Kids, I Need to Get Going (Exclusive Pic!)
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt Honored Her Mom Marcheline at Their Intimate Wedding