Carrie Underwood Joins Rolling Stones Onstage in Toronto
The country singer celebrates the eighth anniversary of her "American Idol" win by sitting in with the legendary band for the 1974 hit, "It's Only Rock 'n' Roll."
"I just sang with @RollingStones!" Carrie Underwood tweeted on Saturday night, following her appearance with the band on "It's Only Rock 'n' Roll" at Toronto's Air Canada Centre.
"Holy cow! I walked off stage and said, "What just happened?!" Still can't believe it! :)"
The American country star now joins Stones guest alumni Dave Grohl, Katy Perry, Tom Waits, Keith Urban and Gwen Stefani so far on the band's 50 & Counting North American tour. Last year, for their spot dates in London, New York and New Jersey, Eric Clapton, Lady Gaga and Bruce Springsteen all hopped onstage with the legendary rock band.
Underwood's husband, Nashville Predators hockey player Mike Fisher, is from Peterborough, Ontario, just a 90-minute drive from Toronto; his family has a cottage nearby. The couple took in a Toronto Bluejays game the day before (Fisher's uncle was a former chaplain to the baseball team), and then she got down to work.
On the day of the show, The Rolling Stones official Twitter account let the cat out of the bag with this: "@RollingStones25 MayTonight the Rolling Stones will be joined by @carrieunderwood! #Stones50#Toronto@LIVEatACC" and with a twitpic of her promo shot.
Guitarist Ron Wood then tweeted "Just done a great soundcheck with @carrieunderwood ~ looking forward to the gig tonight :)" while Underwood wrote "Just had rehearsals! The guys are so great! They made this country girl feel right at home!"
And the country girl appeared just as at home with rock 'n' roll. Dressed in black stiletto boots, skinny black pants and a black Rolling Stones tee -- emblazoned with a USA-flag filled-in lips logo and union jack on the back -- Underwood got downright fierce on the vocal duet of "It's Only Rock 'n' Roll" with frontman Mick Jagger, revealing no trace of twang. She took the lead on "If you could stick a knife in my heart" right through to "would it help to ease the pain."
Keith Richards riffed front and center, while a beaming Underwood jumped around with Mick at her side, pursing her lips in that cool rock 'n' roll way that doesn't make sense in country music and raising her arm with a pointed finger. Mick led her to one side of the stage, close to the stands, hip-bumping her at one point (3 mins 45 secs) then back to center stage to finish. When the song was over, he blew her kisses, and the whole band clapped in her honor.
"8 years ago today, I won @AmericanIdol and tonight, I sang with the @RollingStones!” Underwood wrote in another tweet. "Wow, so much has happened! #Thankful"
- Danny Boyle in Talks to Direct Steve Jobs Movie, Leonardo DiCaprio Eyed to Star
- Bryan Singer Accuser Names Three Hollywood Insiders in New Sex Abuse Lawsuits (Video)
- The Scene and Stars at the Tribeca Film Festival (Photos)
- Summer Movie Preview: Will Godzilla or Spider-Man (Or Angelina Jolie?) Dominate Your Cineplex?
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
What's Hot In Music
- A-Sides with Jon Chattman: Alexz Johnson Living "American Dream;" Pace & Revi and a Bicoastal "Hurricane"
- 'Game Of Thrones' Co-Star Reveals Lena Headey Had 'Mixed Feelings' About That Controversial Rape Scene
- Givin' 'Em Hell and Heaven: Conversations With Joe Satriani and Sebastian Bach
- Angel Haze Slams Homophobia In Hip-Hop, Discusses Sexuality
- Robert Downey Jr. Tweets First Photo From 'Avengers: Age of Ultron' Set
- Hot Docs 2014: 'The Internet's Own Boy: The Story of Aaron Swartz' Review
- David Foster Wallace's Family Doesn't Support the Jason Segel-Starring Biopic 'End of the Tour'
- George Lucas 'Is a Consultant' on 'Star Wars: Episode VII,' Says Disney Chief
- Shantel VanSanten Leaves the 'Gang' Behind for Night of Music!
- Neil Patrick Harris Gets Support From Partner David Burtka at Opening Night of 'Hedwig and the Angry Inch'!
- 'Frozen' Soundtrack Nabs Its Biggest Sales Week, Stays at Number 1 for 11th Week
- Reese Witherspoon is All About Peeps in Her Easter Baskets!