Chad Kroeger: Many Nickelback Haters Secretly Love Us
The Canadian rocker also recently revealed what music he and fiance Avril Lavigne favor when getting intimate.
Nickelback is of the most ridiculed bands in the world. But could all of those haters really be closet fans of the post-grunge rockers?
Frontman Chad Kroeger suggested as much in a new interview with , in which the Canadian singer recounts a story told by the band’s drummer, Daniel Adair.
Adair was at the gym, when a man stopped him and asked if he was the drummer of Nickelback. Here’s the rest of the story, from Kroeger:
“And the guy goes, ‘I just want to preface this by saying I'm a fan of your band and I have all of your CDs and I will be coming to your show tonight. Can you tell me why ten of my closest friends say they hate your band. I know for a fact that eight of them have tickets for your show tonight, and six of them have bought your last three CDs. But they all claim to hate your band.’”
Kroeger also revealed that he may have a secret masterpiece hidden away, ala Queen’s “Bohemian Rhapsody" or Radiohead’s "Paranoid Android.”
“It sounds like something John Lennon would be doing in his very psychedelic stage. It starts with these congo or bongo drums carrying this strange rhythmic pattern,” Kroeger said. “But it's.... [Laughs.] it's pretty bizarre. But it's pretty catchy. Who knows, maybe we'll stick it on the next Nickelback album.”
Kroger is engaged to fellow Canadian rocker Avril Lavigne, and said his fiancé is planning “the most unique wedding that the planet has probably ever seen.” In what may be categorized as TMI, he also revealed the couple's favorite “getting it on” music.
“If a naughty Nickelback song came on, my fiancée would probably ask who it was,” He said. “She'd be like, ‘Who's this? This is good. I like it.’”
The Nickelback singer also dished on being contrary to the trends, which makes him an “anti-hipster” of sorts.
“Now I cut my hair short and everybody's growing beards and wearing plaid and skinny jeans and growing their hair long. I'm always at the opposite end of the spectrum, the opposite of hipster culture, and I enjoy that.”
Nickelback plays in Minsk, Belarus tonight, and tours Australia next month.
Health & Hollywood
THR @ TORONTO
What's Hot In Music
- Hippie Blues: 45 Years of Led Zeppelin
- Music Turns Me on: A Conversation With the Hot Band Dopapod
- Ira Sachs' New Film "Love is Strange" Screens at the Deauville American Film Festival: Alfred Molina and John Lithgow as a Married Couple in Love
- 'Dancing With The Stars' Contestant Alfonso Ribeiro Proves Carlton Still Got It
- Lupita Nyong'o Visits 'Sesame Street' and It's All Kinds of Adorable (VIDEO)
- What Every '90s Kid Needs to See in the 'I Know What You Did Last Summer' Reboot
- What's On TV Tonight: 'The Mindy Project' and 'New Girl' Season Premieres, 'Sons of Anarchy,' and More Picks
- 'Sons of Anarchy's' Kim Coates Says the Final Season Is 'Full Out, Full Throttle, Wiping Everybody Out'