Chris Brown Case: Plea Deal Talks Fall Apart
Prosecutor Kevin Chambers said Wednesday they offered a deal for Brown to plead guilty to simple assault and time served in the Washington case.
WASHINGTON (AP) — Singer Chris Brown was close to a plea deal in his assault case that would have kept him out of jail, but the talks fell apart when prosecutors and defense attorneys couldn't agree on what he would acknowledge happened last year.
Brown was arrested in October outside a hotel and charged with misdemeanor assault. A fan accused the singer of hitting him when he tried to get in a photograph Brown was taking with two women. At the time, Brown was on probation for a 2009 attack on singer Rihanna, his then girlfriend.
He was released from jail earlier this month.
Prosecutor Kevin Chambers said Wednesday they offered a deal for Brown to plead guilty to simple assault and time served in the Washington case. But the Grammy-winning singer's attorney, Mark Geragos, said defense lawyers and prosecutors couldn't agree on a statement of facts about what happened outside the W hotel.
"They wanted him to read from a script that wasn't true," Geragos said after the hearing. The attorney did not say specifically what the disagreement was over.
Brown was in court Wednesday, wearing white jeans, a white shirt, a leather jacket and a black tie.
His trial was scheduled for Sept. 8.
Brown's bodyguard, Christopher Hollosy, was also charged in the same Washington scuffle. He was accused of being the second person after Brown to strike Parker Adams.
Hollosy was convicted of misdemeanor assault in April. He has not yet been sentenced.
- Exclusive Portraits of Robert Griffin III, Ronda Rousey, Kareem Abdul-Jabbar (Photos)
- MOBA: Inside the Biggest Sporting Event You've Never Heard Of (Photos)
- 'Girls,' Tatiana Maslany and 18 More of the Biggest Emmy Snubs (Photos)
- Emmy Awards 2014: The Nominees (Photos)
- Hollywood's Notable Deaths of 2014 (Photos)
What's Hot In Music
- The Killing's Mireille Enos Welcomes Second Child with Husband Alan Ruck!
- Pippa Middleton Gets Back to Work After Attending Nephew Prince George's 1st Birthday Bash!
- Taylor Schilling Is Such a Sweetheart to Fans at 'Letterman'!
- 'Fifty Shades of Grey' Trailer, Starring Dakota Johnson & Jamie Dornan, Will Be Released Tomorrow!