Clive Davis Comes Out of the Closet on 'Katie'
UPDATED: The music-industry legend reveals to Katie Couric that he is bisexual. "I opened myself up to the possibility that I could have a relationship with a man," he says of life following a failed marriage.
Music-industry legend Clive Davis is coming out of the closet.
Katie Couric has the interview, which airs on her talk show Katie on Feb. 19, during which Sony Music’s chief creative officer and the man who discovered or signed such multiplatinum acts as Janis Joplin, Bruce Springsteen, Whitney Houston, Alicia Keys, Barry Manilow, Santana and dozens more, reveals that he is bisexual.
Speaking of his "failed marriage," which came apart in the mid-'80s, Davis says, "I opened myself up to the possibility that I could have a relationship with a man as well as the two that I had with a woman." He added: "I'm still attracted to women … You don't have to be only one thing or another. For me, it's the person."
Preview clips from the show stop short of revealing with whom Davis is currently involved, but the 80-year-old father of four (his three sons, Fred, Doug and Mitch, all work in the music business) talks about his current relationship with a man and emphasizes that he is "in a monogamous relationship."
As for why Davis chose to divulge such intimate details now? The industry veteran has a book to sell, for one thing. The Soundtrack of My Life, being released by Simon & Schuster also on Feb. 19, tells the life story of the Brooklyn-bred record man and consummate tastemaker who played a key role in curating popular music for well over five decades.
Watch a snippet of the interview below:
Titans of Comic-Con: Stars Re-Create Classic Characters (Photos)
- Exclusive Portraits of Robert Griffin III, Ronda Rousey, Kareem Abdul-Jabbar (Photos)
- MOBA: Inside the Biggest Sporting Event You've Never Heard Of (Photos)
- Emmy Awards 2014: The Nominees (Photos)
- Hollywood's Notable Deaths of 2014 (Photos)
What's Hot In Music
- Best of Late Night TV: Bachelorette Andi Plays the No-ly Wed Game, James Franco's Selfie Tutorial (VIDEO)
- The 'Batkid Begins' Trailer Will Make You Shed a Tear or Two (VIDEO)
- Chris Pratt, Zoe Saldana, and Dave Bautista Get Weird in Our 'Guardians of the Galaxy' Unscripted (VIDEO)
- Norman Reedus Breaks Down Daryl and Beth's Relationship on 'The Walking Dead'
- Neon Hitch's New Single 'Yard Sale' - Listen Now! (Exclusive Premiere)
- Gwyneth Paltrow Steps Out in East Hampton for 'Hector and the Search for Happiness' Screening!
- Bradley Cooper & Sienna Miller Begin Filming Their Second Movie Together, 'Adam Jones'!
- Sam Heughan & Caitriona Balfe Are Picture Perfect at 'Outlander' Screening