Clive Davis Responds in War of Words With Kelly Clarkson
Denying the "American Idol" winner's claims of revisionist history regarding his just-published memoir, the music-industry veteran and Sony's chief creative officer writes: "I had every fact checked with five independent individuals who were present throughout it all."
Sony Music chief creative officer Clive Davis has issued a statement responding to Kelly Clarkson's claims of revisionist history regarding his just-released book, The Soundtrack of My Life. Among her allegations, the American Idol season one winner says Davis, who played a key A&R role in her first albums and string of hits, is confusing multiple meetings concerning such songs as "Since U Been Gone" and "Because of You."
Of the former, Clarkson wrote on Whosay, "[Davis] says I burst into 'hysterical sobbing' in his office when he demanded 'Since U Been Gone' be on my album. Not true at all. His stories and songs are mixed up. I did want more guitars added to the original demo, and Clive did not. Max [Martin], Dr. Luke and I still fought for the bigger sound and we prevailed and I couldn't be more proud of the life of that song. I resent him dampening that song in any way."
Regarding the latter ballad, which Clarkson wrote, she claims Davis called her a "shitty" songwriter "who should be grateful for the gifts that he bestows upon me."
"As anyone who has read The Soundtrack of My Life knows, I think Kelly Clarkson is a tremendous vocal talent and performer. In the book, I provide an in-depth look at our years together during which we shared major multi-platinum success, as well as a few creative differences. I am truly very sorry that she has decided to take issue with what I know to be an accurate depiction of our time together. Before the book was published, I had every fact checked with five independent individuals who were present on a daily basis throughout it all. The chapter as it is written was thoroughly verified by each and every one of them. I stand by the chapter as written in my book. At the same time I wish, and will always wish, Kelly's talent and her career to soar to ever new heights."
Titans of Comic-Con: Stars Re-Create Classic Characters (Photos)
- Exclusive Portraits of Robert Griffin III, Ronda Rousey, Kareem Abdul-Jabbar (Photos)
- MOBA: Inside the Biggest Sporting Event You've Never Heard Of (Photos)
- Emmy Awards 2014: The Nominees (Photos)
- Hollywood's Notable Deaths of 2014 (Photos)
What's Hot In Music
- Jenny McCarthy Slams Rumor She Criticized Melissa McCarthy's Weight
- Jenny Lewis Doesn't Want To Be An 'Old Little Girl'
- Nicki Minaj Delays 'Anaconda' Release, But Gives Us Another Salacious Instagram Post
- How James Gunn Turned 'Guardians Of The Galaxy' Into The Coolest & Weirdest Blockbuster Of 2014
- 'The Hunger Games: Mockingjay - Part 1' Trailer Suggests That Playtime Is Over (VIDEO)
- Weekend Box Office: Scarlett Johannson's 'Lucy' Beats The Rock's 'Hercules'
- All About That Mind-Blowing 'Avengers: Age of Ultron' Footage From Comic-Con 2014
- 10 Facts About 'Godzilla 2,' 'Crimson Peak,' 'Skull Island,' and More, Straight From Comic-Con 2014