Coachella 'Festival at Sea' Headlined by Pulp, Hot Chip, Draws Mixed Reaction
James Murphy, Yeasayer, Girl Talk and Warpaint round out a dance-heavy bill on a two-leg cruise out of The Bahamas and Jamaica.
Big electronic music acts like Hot Chip, Sleigh Bells and Simian Mobile Disco, as well as recently reformed English rock group Pulp, are slated to headline the first-ever S.S. Coachella -- a pair of winter cruise getaways announced today by concert promoters Goldenvoice.
The "music festival at sea," as it's being touted, has two legs, the first launching from Bahamas from Dec. 16 - 19, the second from Jamaica from Dec. 19-23. Also slated on the bill are LCD Soundsystem frontman James Murphy playing a DJ set, all-female rock outfit Warpaint, mashup DJ Girl Talk and dance-rock group Yeasayer.
The event will take place on the "breathlessly elegant Celebrity Silhouette ... one of the most stylish, luxurious ships at sea," a statement from Goldenvoice reads. Prices start at $500 per person, and will go on sale Saturday, July 21st at 10:00am PDT.
The announcement comes just two weeks after the Coachella Valley Music and Arts Festival -- the two-weekend, desert-set alternative music gathering that started it all -- settled a dispute with Indio, Calif., officials who sought to add an admissions tax on each ticket. Goldenvoice, who last March purchased the picturesque polo grounds on which the festival is set, threatened to move the festival elsewhere -- leading proponents of the proposed bill to back down.
The move has sparked both excited chatter and accusations of selling out among social media users, with one Twitter user going so far as to pledge, "I would rather be on the Titanic than the Coachella boat cruise."
- Danny Boyle in Talks to Direct Steve Jobs Movie, Leonardo DiCaprio Eyed to Star
- Bryan Singer Accuser Names Three Hollywood Insiders in New Sex Abuse Lawsuits (Video)
- The Scene and Stars at the Tribeca Film Festival (Photos)
- Summer Movie Preview: Will Godzilla or Spider-Man (Or Angelina Jolie?) Dominate Your Cineplex?
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
What's Hot In Music
- Robert Downey Jr. Tweets First Photo From 'Avengers: Age of Ultron' Set
- Hot Docs 2014: 'The Internet's Own Boy: The Story of Aaron Swartz' Review
- David Foster Wallace's Family Doesn't Support the Jason Segel-Starring Biopic 'End of the Tour'
- George Lucas 'Is a Consultant' on 'Star Wars: Episode VII,' Says Disney Chief