Coldplay Comic Book Series Goes Digital
"Mylo Xyloto," based on the band's 2011 album of the same name, is published by Matt Groening's Bongo Comics Group.
Coldplay announced on Tuesday the digital release of its Mylo Xyloto comic book series, based on the 2011 album of the same name.
Written by filmmaker Mark Osborne (Kung Fu Panda, The SpongeBob SquarePants Movie) with help from the British band, the six-part saga depicts an Orwellian society ruled by a supremacist government that controls the population via fear tactics and overstimulation through media and propaganda. Issues 1-3 are now available exclusively via Apple's iBookstore, with the rest of the series to be released monthly until July. Issue 1 is currently available for free as the iBookstore's Book of the Week.
In conjunction, Coldplay has announced a special release for the upcoming April 20 Record Store Day that packages the Mylo Xyloto album (which has sold more than 6 million copies) with Issue 1 and a special 7-inch vinyl picture disc featuring "Hurts Like Heaven" and "Us Against The World (Live)."
The Mylo comic books are published by Matt Groening's celebrated Bongo Comics Group.
Coldplay is in good company among other band-branded graphic arts series. Indie artist Daniel Johnston has been a longtime comic artist and released the book Space Ducks last year. My Chemical Romance frontman Gerard Way’s Eisner Award-winning comic book The Umbrella Academy is currently being developed into a feature film by Universal.
Former Misfits frontman Glenn Danzig runs the mature-themed comic book company Verotik and with Henry Rollins is the subject of the hilarious unauthorized Henry & Glenn Forever comic. KISS have been the subject of comics since their inception in the '70s, including a Marvel-published origin story that was supposedly printed using the band members' blood. Tom Morello authored a saga of the heroine Orchid, a teenage prostitute in a postapocalyptic society. And Amanda Palmer recently co-wrote the graphic novel Evelyn Evelyn, about conjoined twins who, er, double as sideshow performers.
Health & Hollywood
THR @ TORONTO
What's Hot In Music
- 'Mindy Project' Season 3, Episode 1 Recap: 'We're A Couple Now, Haters,' Or Whoa Nelly, Danny
- Much Ado About Theatrics: 'Django Unchained' Actress Gets to Follow the Rules Too
- Here Are The GIFs Of Danny Stripping On 'The Mindy Project' That You Want To See Today
- Celebrities Reveal The Crazy Things Fans Say To Them On The Street
- So, Maybe Adam Driver Isn't a Villain in 'Star Wars: Episode VII'
- C-3PO Is Getting a Spiffy New Suit in 'Star Wars: Episode VII'
- Best of Late Night TV: How Key & Peele Met, Sex Expert's Tips, Julianna Margulies' Musical Announcements (VIDEO)
- Lupita Nyong'o Visits 'Sesame Street' and It's All Kinds of Adorable (VIDEO)