Coldplay Cover Beastie Boys Classic in Honor of Adam Yauch (Video)
During the last of three shows at the Hollywood Bowl, Chris Martin and crew re-imagined the Beasties' breakout hit "(You Gotta) Fight for Your Right (To Party!)."
Coldplay paid tribute to Adam "MCA" Yauch, who died Friday after a three-year battle with cancer, by reinterpreting one of the Beastie Boys' best-known hits, "(You Gotta) Fight for Your Right (To Party!)." The concert was the last of a three-night bow at Los Angeles' famed Hollywood Bowl.
Singer Chris Martin took the lead on piano for the re-imagined, almost acoustic version of the rap-rock anthem, acknowledging Yauch by name about half-way through.
A video of the performance was posted on the official Coldplay TV YouTube page with the simple title RIP MCA.
Honoring the recently departed has become a Coldplay tradition much appreciated by their music-loving audience. At a show in L.A. last August, the band played Amy Winehouse's "Rehab" some 10 days after she died.
Watch Coldplay's Beastie Boys cover below:
Health & Hollywood
THR @ TORONTO
What's Hot In Music
- Music Turns Me on: A Conversation With the Hot Band Dopapod
- Ira Sachs' New Film "Love is Strange" Screens at the Deauville American Film Festival: Alfred Molina and John Lithgow as a Married Couple in Love
- 'Dancing With The Stars' Contestant Alfonso Ribeiro Proves Carlton Still Got It
- 16 'New Girl' Facts That'll Make You Love It Even More
- Lupita Nyong'o Visits 'Sesame Street' and It's All Kinds of Adorable (VIDEO)
- What Every '90s Kid Needs to See in the 'I Know What You Did Last Summer' Reboot
- What's On TV Tonight: 'The Mindy Project' and 'New Girl' Season Premieres, 'Sons of Anarchy,' and More Picks
- 'Sons of Anarchy's' Kim Coates Says the Final Season Is 'Full Out, Full Throttle, Wiping Everybody Out'