Crazy Town Frontman and 'Celebrity Rehab' Graduate Shifty Shellshock in a Coma (Report)
The former singer of the Los Angeles-based rap-rock group is in intensive care at a Los Angeles hospital.
Seth Binzer, the former Crazy Town frontman who performs under the stage name Shifty Shellshock and has appeared on reality TV rehab shows, is reportedly in a coma at an undisclosed Los Angeles hospital. According to TMZ, Binzer has been unresponsive since he was admitted to intensive care Thursday.
No information is available about what may have caused Binzer, 37, to fall into a coma, but the musician has had run-ins with the law over drug use. He appeared on the first two seasons of VH1's Celebrity Rehab (2008-09) and Sober House (2009-10). He was scheduled to appear in court this week for a pretrial hearing following an arrest in February for possession of cocaine.
Crazy Town, which also featured the late DJ AM (aka Adam Goldstein), spent two weeks at No. 1 on Billboard's Hot 100 in early 2001 with "Butterfly.” It was an international hit, reaching the Top 10 in more than a dozen countries. Buoyed by the single -- which has sold 213,000 physical copies and 584,000 downloads in the U.S., according to Nielsen SoundScan -- the band's debut album The Gift of Game reached the Top 10 and went platinum. The 2002 Paul Oakenfold single “Starry Eyed Surprise” included lines sung by Binzer in "Butterfly."
But "Butterfly" was Crazy Town's only song to hit the U.S. chart. The group went on an indefinite hiatus after its second album, 2002’s Darkhorse, spent just one week on the Billboard 200. Recording as Shifty, Binzer made a solo album -- 2004's Happy Love Sick -- that enjoyed moderate success overseas but failed to chart in the U.S.
Titans of Comic-Con: Stars Re-Create Classic Characters (Photos)
- Exclusive Portraits of Robert Griffin III, Ronda Rousey, Kareem Abdul-Jabbar (Photos)
- MOBA: Inside the Biggest Sporting Event You've Never Heard Of (Photos)
- Emmy Awards 2014: The Nominees (Photos)
- Hollywood's Notable Deaths of 2014 (Photos)
What's Hot In Music
- Christopher Nolan, Matthew McConaughey Surprise Comic Con With New 'Interstellar' Trailer
- Pedro Pascal Really Wishes He Were Still On 'Game Of Thrones,' Even In Small Part
- Morgan Freeman And Jimmy Fallon Talking On Helium Will Make Your Day
- Conversations with Billy Gilman, Ernest Ranglin, Mary Sarah and Gangstagrass' Rench, Plus Ben Jaimen's "Satellites" Exclusive