Daft Punk Signs With Columbia Records
The highly influential French DJ duo has released three albums via EMI. A new album, its first in seven years, is expected in the spring.
Sony Music is ramping up its dance music arsenal. Just three days after announcing a new strategic alliance with Ultra Records, a leading label of the EDM movement, news is emerging that Columbia Records has signed Daft Punk. A source confirms to The Hollywood Reporter, "It's a done deal."
The revered, reclusive and highly influential French DJ duo had released all of its recordings via EMI’s Virgin Records, now owned by Universal, with the exception of its most recent full-length, Disney’s Tron: Legacy, which Daft Punk’s Guy-Manuel de Homem-Christo and Thomas Bangalter scored.
Prior to Tron, the last proper Daft Punk album was 2005’s Human After All. Signing the electronic music pioneers is a major score for the 125-year-old Columbia, which also recently added Depeche Mode to its roster.
Confirmed details about Daft Punk’s forthcoming fourth album are few and far between, though producer/Chic co-founder Nile Rodgers recently hinted that it would be out in the coming months. Singer/songwriter/ASCAP president Paul Williams, veteran bassist Nathan East, Feist collaborator Chilly Gonzales and legendary disco producer Giorgio Moroder (via a spoken monologue) are among others who reportedly have collaborated with the duo during the past couple of years, though whether and what form their contributions to the album might take is unclear.
In a report Saturday, French newspaper Le Parisien seemed to affirm that an album is expected soon, reporting that it will be released in the spring.
Worth noting: Although Daft Punk is not on the recently revealed Coachella lineup, an insider says the group was offered a "gigantic sum of money" to headline the California desert festival but ultimately turned it down.
A label rep would not return THR or Billboard’s request for comment.
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
What's Hot In Music
- Patrick Stewart And Ian McKellen Play The Newlywed Game, Continue Being The Internet's Most Adorable Sirs
- Sunny Day Real Estate Releases 'Lipton Witch,' First Song In 14 Years
- 'Batman Beyond' Animated Short Premieres At WonderCon In Honor of Franchise's 75th Anniversary
- Here Is A Photo Of Mariah Carey Dressed As A Bunny And Using Nick Cannon As Furniture
- 'Captain America: The Winter Soldier' Tops Easter Weekend Box Office While Johnny Depp's 'Transcendence' Fails to Impress
- Lea Michele Gets Cozy with Co-Star on Her Music Video Set!
- Madonna Wants Us to Get Behind Her to Start a Love Evolution!
- Calvin Harris Previews Small Sample of Rita Ora's New Single - Listen Now!