David Bowie Resurfaces with New Song, Video
"Where Are We Now" got an early morning premiere along with news that the influential singer will release his first album in 10 years.
The revered and, in recent years, reclusive David Bowie has surfaced with a new song and video.
“Where Are We Now" got an early morning premiere on Bowie's official site and is available for sale in 119 countries via an exclusive deal with iTunes. A new album called The Next Day -- his first in 10 years -- is due out in March and available for pre-order starting Jan. 8.
Produced by longtime collaborator Tony Visconti and recorded in New York, the song has the sound and sentiment of an elegiac lament, while the haunting video, directed by venerated artist-sculptor Tony Oursler, references Bowie’s time in Berlin.
According to an announcement issued by Iso/Columbia Records, the singer is shown looking in on footage of the auto repair shop beneath the apartment he lived in along with stark images of the city at the time. The press release begins with the words: “Where is David Bowie?” and makes mention of “radio silence” which has “been broken only by endless speculation, rumor and wishful thinking.”
It continues: “A new record... who would have ever thought it? Who'd have ever dreamed it! After all David is the kind of artist who writes and performs what he wants when he wants...when he has something to say as opposed to something to sell. Today he definitely has something to say.”
Indeed, the news spread quickly on Twitter and other social media, proving the continued global relevance of an artist about to put out his 30th studio album. As for the timing of it all, it’s worth noting that on Jan. 8 Bowie celebrates his 66th birthday.
To watch the video, click on the screen grab below.
HOLLYWOOD'S RED CARPET A-LIST
What's Hot In Music
- Shades Of Blue, Tiger Eyes & Beyond: Chatting with Joe Bonamassa, Jim Peterik and Sondre Lerche
- 'South Park' Completely Trolls Washington Redskins With In-Game Ad Ripping Team Name
- Hell on Wheels: Recent Season Four Episode Seven Delivers!
- Ken Burns' 'The Roosevelts' Reveals Everything Wrong With Our Current Political Class
- Emma Watson Gives a Powerful Speech About Gender Equality - Watch the Video & Read Full Transcipt Here
- Camilla Belle & Max Greenfield Support 'L.A. Loves Alex's Lemonade' Fundraiser
- Pregnant Hayden Panettiere Has Fun at Food & Wine Festival After Nude Pics Leak
- Rosario Dawson, Luke Evans, & Ashley Madekwe Support amfAR's Important Cause in Milan