Devo's Mitt Romney Anthem Hits the Web (Audio)
"Don't Roof Rack Me, Bro! (Remember Seamus)" commemorates a decades-old incident in which the presidential candidate strapped his dog to the top of his car.
In politics, nearly anything can come back to haunt a candidate—even a long-dead pet.
After Tuesday's announcement that Devo would release an ode to presidential candidate Mitt Romney's dog, the new wave rockers followed through and unleashed “Don't Roof Rack Me, Bro! (Remember Seamus).”
The song is inspired by a 1983 incident in which Romney strapped his Irish setter, Seamus, to the top of his car via a roof rack-attached cage and drove for 12 hours. The dog reportedly had diarrhea, and Romney put him up there to dry off after hosing him down.
Unfortunately for Romney, the Seamus incident has been fodder for late night comedians and political opponents alike since his first presidential bid in 2008.
In the new song, Devo singer Gerald V. Casale croons about political hot topics such as Super PACS, but spends most of his time expressing sympathy for Seamus.
“Your former master is on the attack. If he was honest and told the truth, he’d go to jail for what he did to you,” Casale sings. “Seamus, why did he make you ride outside?”
The song is just the latest piece of Casale's Seamus-crusaide. The singer previously launched RememberSeamus.com, where he urges visitors to choose “a non-human as the most important political figure of this election.”
As if the Devo song weren’t enough, Romney also had trouble with indie rockers The Silversun Pickups Wednesday, whose members sent his campaign a cease and desist letter for using one of its songs at events without permission. The campaign issued a statement saying the song had been "inadvertently played during event set-up before Gov. Romney arrived at the location."
Listen to Devo's new song below.
What's Hot In Music
- Before 'Game Of Thrones,' Pedro Pascal Was Getting His Ass Kicked On 'Buffy'
- Drew Barrymore Adds Fragrances To Flower Beauty Collection Making Us All Smell Better
- Guy Covers Every Single Part Of 'Prince Ali' From 'Aladdin'
- The Dumbest But Also Greatest Lyrics From Destiny's Child's 'Writings On The Wall'
- Orange Is the New Black’s Barbara Rosenblat on Playing Miss Rosa and Being ‘the Meryl Streep of Audiobooks’
- Why Are Movies the Only Kind of Entertainment We Still Have to Wait Around For?
- 7 Times Vin Diesel Gave a Wooden Performance (Before He Played a Tree in Guardians of the Galaxy)
- Chris Messina Is a Huge Cheater in This New Sam Smith Video
- Dave Bautista, Drax in 'Guardians of the Galaxy,' on His Makeup and Fave Scene (VIDEO)
- Chris Pratt Facts: 17 Things You (Probably) Don't Know About the 'Guardians' Star
- Best of Late Night TV: Julia Roberts' Face Balls and Chris Pratt's Taxidermy (VIDEO)
- The 'Kingdom' Trailer Takes Mixed Martial Arts to the Next Level (VIDEO)
- Cate Blanchett Desperately Wanted to Play a Dwarf & Wear a Beard
- Katy Perry Sang for the President & First Lady Last Night at the White House!
- Kerry Washington & Jimmy Kimmel Bond Over Their Newborn Baby Girls!
- 'Guardians of the Galaxy' Opens Huge, Scores Biggest Thursday Evening Opening of the Year!