Ed Sheeran to Headline Solo Arena Tour
In support of his forthcoming sophomore album "x," the tour launches in Seattle on Aug. 22.
It's been a month of firsts for Ed Sheeran. The singer-songwriter landed on the cover of Billboard, released the opening single off his highly anticipated sophomore album, rocked Saturday Night Live, and now he's announced his first-ever headlining arena tour of North America.
The tour, which is in support of his forthcoming sophomore album x, launches Aug. 22 in Seattle and so far includes 15 dates, with stops in Boston, Atlanta and Seattle. Tickets go on sale April 25. More dates will be announced soon.
Sheeran's current single, "Sing," is heading for a top-40 debut this week on the Hot 100. He performed the Justin Timberlake-inspired track, along with fellow new song "Saturdays," during a lively performance on SNL over the weekend. The appearance was also notable in that Sheeran performed with a full band, a major change from his usual solo acoustic act.
In the April 12 issue of Billboard, the singer's former tour partner Taylor Swift predicted that Sheeran will be upgrading to a bigger live sound soon.
"A few months ago we were in Germany and Ed came along to surprise the crowd with his song 'I See Fire,' which is a huge hit there," said Swift. "It was the first time he'd played with a full band, and I saw this spark in his eye. I have a feeling the production of his live show will expand over the next few years, and I can't wait to see it every step of the way."
Sheeran's x is slated for a June 23 release.
- Exclusive Portraits of Robert Griffin III, Ronda Rousey, Kareem Abdul-Jabbar (Photos)
- MOBA: Inside the Biggest Sporting Event You've Never Heard Of (Photos)
- 'Girls,' Tatiana Maslany and 18 More of the Biggest Emmy Snubs (Photos)
- Emmy Awards 2014: The Nominees (Photos)
- Hollywood's Notable Deaths of 2014 (Photos)
What's Hot In Music
- Lana Del Rey Tells Complex She Has 'Slept With A Lot Of Guys In The Industry'
- Jon Stewart Wants You To Help Him Buy CNN
- Dwayne 'The Rock' Johnson And Jimmy Fallon Were Failed Fitness Instructors Once
- From "Eve Of Destruction" to "Already Gone": Conversations with Jack Tempchin and P.F. Sloan, Plus a Godsmack Track
- Best of Late Night TV: John Stamos' New 'Manny' Service, Dwayne Johnson's Thigh Workout, Ricky Gervais' Marriage Apathy (VIDEO)
- Don't Rule Out a 'Sons of Anarchy' Prequel
- Will Ferrell and Adam McKay Are Making Your 'Manimal' Movie Dreams Come True
- We Can't Stop Looking at These Snazzy 'Hunger Games: Mockingjay' Living Portraits