Ellie Goulding Performs Surprise Pop-Up Concert at LACMA
The "Lights" singer entertained some 500 Los Angeles fans Monday afternoon.
She sings about "Lights" and plays among a forest of them, too.
One day before her headlining bow at Los Angeles’ famed Palladium, Ellie Goulding popped up for a surprise afternoon performance outside the Los Angeles County Museum of Art.
The British singer-songwriter, whose 2010 hit “Lights” reached No. 2 on the Billboard Hot 100, performed a free concert for approximately 500 fans, who were asked to sit during the half-hour impromptu gig held at the museum grounds' popular lamp-post installation. Word spread solely through social media -- specifically, Goulding’s twitter account, which boasts more than a million followers. On Sunday, the 26-year-old tweeted, “Maaay or may not be doing a little pop-up acoustic show in LA tomorrow outside LACMA museum around 2 if anyone wants to hang out…”
Goulding followed up Monday morning with another teaser, writing, “If you’re in LA and on your lunch break near LACMA I definitely won’t be there doing some songs around 2 pm…”
The power of Twitter was evident in the turnout, which surprised the singer herself. “I can’t believe there’s so many people here,” she said from the stage amid hundreds of lamp posts. “It’s a bit overwhelming. I feel like I’m going to cry.”
The singer invited the young, swelling crowd, many sporting Ray-Bans and heads half-shaved as a tribute to the artist in front of them, to “have a little sing-song.” She began the pop-up concert with “My Blood,” "Starry-Eyed" and “I Know You Care,” lesser-known tracks that nonetheless won over the audience.
Indeed, Goulding’s sense of unbridled honesty is wholly felt in her lyrics and it entranced the crowd which responded in kind with hoots, hollers and calls of, “We love you, Ellie!” By the time she got to the last song “Lights” -- which the singer introduced with a cheeky, “You know, that one!” -- her five-song set only left fans wanting more.
2014 Emmy Awards
What's Hot In Music
- Jon Stewart Loves How Epic HuffPost Headlines Win The Internet
- Jesse Helt, Miley Cyrus' Date At The VMAs, Turns Himself In For Probation Violation
- Solo Concerts, Stealin' Home & Similar Skin: Chats with Bruce Hornsby, Iain Matthews and Umphrey's McGee...Plus!
- Jake 'The Snake' Roberts, Iconic Pro Wrestler, Hospitalized After Collapse
- Julianne Hough Snaps Selfies With Former DWTS Partner Helio Castroneves
- Rose McGowan Pours Pink Paint Over Charli XCX in 'Break The Rules' Music Video - Watch Here!
- Fergie Is Going to Miss the Bar at 'Chelsea Lately'
- Simon Cowell & Girlfriend Lauren Silverman Show Some Affection at 'X Factor UK' Press Launch!