Emeli Sande Breaks The Beatles' U.K. Album Chart Record
The Scottish singer's debut album, "Our Version of Events," has been in Britain's top 10 for 63 consecutive weeks, surpassing the mark set by the Fab Four's "Please Please Me."
LONDON -- Singer-songwriter Emeli Sande has broken The Beatles' long-standing record for the most consecutive weeks spent in the top 10 of the U.K.'s Official Albums Chart.
The Scottish songstress' Brit Award-winning debut album, Our Version of Events, released in February 2012, has held a slot in the charts for 63 consecutive weeks, beating the previous record held by the Fab Four for their release Please Please Me, which spent 62 weeks in the top 10 between 1963 and 1964.
Sande's Our Version of Events has gone on to become the bestselling album of 2012 in the U.K. with over 1.82 million copies sold, according to the Official Albums Chart.
In an interview with the Official Charts Company, Sande described herself as being completely lost for words.
"The Beatles are the greatest band of all time and their legacy lives on and continues to inspire all of us that make music," she said. "I’m so happy that so many people have connected with the stories and the songs on the record, this really is our version of events now. I’d like to say thank you to everyone that has bought, played or shared my music in the last year, without your support this would never have been possible."
Her album spent 10 weeks at No. 1 on the Official Albums Chart and has broken the 100,000 sales in one week tally on three separate occasions.
Official Charts Company managing director Martin Talbot noted: "Across her 63 top 10 weeks, she has been top 5 for almost 75 percent of the time -- a remarkable record by one of the most remarkable new British acts to emerge for many years."
- Danny Boyle in Talks to Direct Steve Jobs Movie, Leonardo DiCaprio Eyed to Star
- Bryan Singer Accuser Names Three Hollywood Insiders in New Sex Abuse Lawsuits (Video)
- The Scene and Stars at the Tribeca Film Festival (Photos)
- Summer Movie Preview: Will Godzilla or Spider-Man (Or Angelina Jolie?) Dominate Your Cineplex?
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
What's Hot In Music
- A-Sides with Jon Chattman: Alexz Johnson Living "American Dream;" Pace & Revi and a Bicoastal "Hurricane"
- 'Game Of Thrones' Co-Star Reveals Lena Headey Had 'Mixed Feelings' About That Controversial Rape Scene
- Givin' 'Em Hell and Heaven: Conversations With Joe Satriani and Sebastian Bach
- Angel Haze Slams Homophobia In Hip-Hop, Discusses Sexuality
- Robert Downey Jr. Tweets First Photo From 'Avengers: Age of Ultron' Set
- Hot Docs 2014: 'The Internet's Own Boy: The Story of Aaron Swartz' Review
- David Foster Wallace's Family Doesn't Support the Jason Segel-Starring Biopic 'End of the Tour'
- George Lucas 'Is a Consultant' on 'Star Wars: Episode VII,' Says Disney Chief
- Shantel VanSanten Leaves the 'Gang' Behind for Night of Music!
- Neil Patrick Harris Gets Support From Partner David Burtka at Opening Night of 'Hedwig and the Angry Inch'!
- 'Frozen' Soundtrack Nabs Its Biggest Sales Week, Stays at Number 1 for 11th Week
- Reese Witherspoon is All About Peeps in Her Easter Baskets!