Fat Joe Sentenced to Prison for Tax Evasion
The rapper gets a four-month stint behind bars as well as a $15,000 fine.
Rapper Fat Joe has been sentenced to four months in jail for tax evasion.
The Bronx-born artist, whose name is Joseph Cartagena, owed more than $700,000 in taxes to the federal government, and pleaded guilty in December 2012 to two counts of failing to file returns on income of $3 million-plus earned over a two-year period.
During his sentencing on Monday, Fat Joe, 42, was also fined $15,000, although, according to Reuters, a judge commended him for paying back $718,000 and also contributing to charities.
"There was a lot going on in the years that I didn't file my taxes, but it was my responsibility," he said in court, apologizing to family including his 6-year-old daughter, who he says is being teased in school over his jail sentence.
Fat Joe's last album was The Darkside Vol. 1, which was released in July 2010.
- Exclusive Portraits of Robert Griffin III, Ronda Rousey, Kareem Abdul-Jabbar (Photos)
- MOBA: Inside the Biggest Sporting Event You've Never Heard Of (Photos)
- 'Girls,' Tatiana Maslany and 18 More of the Biggest Emmy Snubs (Photos)
- Emmy Awards 2014: The Nominees (Photos)
- Hollywood's Notable Deaths of 2014 (Photos)
What's Hot In Music
- Chrissy Teigen's Optical Illusion Ensemble Is Making Us Do A Double Take
- Jon Stewart Mocks Media 'Chaos' Over Obamacare Ruling
- North West Takes Her First Steps, Kim Posts Adorable Picture After Swimming Lesson
- The Aquabats! celebrate their 20th anniversary at Comic-Con as they ponder the group's next move