Fat Joe Sentenced to Prison for Tax Evasion
The rapper gets a four-month stint behind bars as well as a $15,000 fine.
Rapper Fat Joe has been sentenced to four months in jail for tax evasion.
The Bronx-born artist, whose name is Joseph Cartagena, owed more than $700,000 in taxes to the federal government, and pleaded guilty in December 2012 to two counts of failing to file returns on income of $3 million-plus earned over a two-year period.
During his sentencing on Monday, Fat Joe, 42, was also fined $15,000, although, according to Reuters, a judge commended him for paying back $718,000 and also contributing to charities.
"There was a lot going on in the years that I didn't file my taxes, but it was my responsibility," he said in court, apologizing to family including his 6-year-old daughter, who he says is being teased in school over his jail sentence.
Fat Joe's last album was The Darkside Vol. 1, which was released in July 2010.
- John Oliver on the Luxurious 'Freedom' of HBO, His Complicated Relationship With NYC
- The Hollywood Reporter's 35 Most Powerful People in New York Media 2014
- Cannes Preview: The Hot Movies in the Running to Hit the Croisette
- CBS' $67 Million Man: Does Leslie Moonves' Moolah Make Sense?
- 'Mrs. Doubtfire' Sequel in the Works at Fox 2000 (Exclusive)
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
What's Hot In Music
- Masters Of Sex, Girls & "Boogie Train": Conversations with Michael Penn and Foghat's Roger Earl
- The Americans 'New Car' Recap: "I'm a Good Person, I Swear!"
- The Extremely Hard Lessons That the Themed Entertainment Industry Learned From Hard Rock Park
- Joe Biden Posts First Selfie With None Other Than President Obama
- 'X-Men' Director Bryan Singer Accused of Sexually Abusing Underage Boy
- Jennifer Lopez is a Sexy Slice of Orange on 'American Idol'!
- Mila Kunis & Olivia Wilde Take Us on an Emotional Roller Coaster in 'Third Person' Trailer - Watch Now!
- Justin Bieber Makes Time to Show His Gratitude To Fans in Beverly Hills!