Fat Joe Sentenced to Prison for Tax Evasion
The rapper gets a four-month stint behind bars as well as a $15,000 fine.
Rapper Fat Joe has been sentenced to four months in jail for tax evasion.
The Bronx-born artist, whose name is Joseph Cartagena, owed more than $700,000 in taxes to the federal government, and pleaded guilty in December 2012 to two counts of failing to file returns on income of $3 million-plus earned over a two-year period.
During his sentencing on Monday, Fat Joe, 42, was also fined $15,000, although, according to Reuters, a judge commended him for paying back $718,000 and also contributing to charities.
"There was a lot going on in the years that I didn't file my taxes, but it was my responsibility," he said in court, apologizing to family including his 6-year-old daughter, who he says is being teased in school over his jail sentence.
Fat Joe's last album was The Darkside Vol. 1, which was released in July 2010.
What's Hot In Music
- New DVD Blu-ray: 'Noah,' 'The Other Woman,' 'Twin Peaks'
- Billy Bob Thornton Wants To Guest Star on 'Big Bang Theory' and 'Game of Thrones' and We Hope His Dreams Come True
- Rian Johnson Is Already Revealing Details About 'Star Wars: Episode VIII'
- 'Every Single Thing' In the 'The Walking Dead' Season Five Premiere Is a Spoiler
- Zac Efron Steps Out After Addressing Addiction on 'Running Wild with Bear Grylls'
- Selena Gomez Flaunts Her Flat Abs at 'Behaving Badly' Premiere
- Justin Bieber Shares Photo of Orlando Bloom's Ex-Wife Miranda Kerr After Fight Video Surfaces
- Charlie Hunnam Makes Up For Missing Comic-Con in Funny Video - Watch Now!