Footage of Divinyls Singer's Final Performance Surfaces (Video)
Chrissy Amphlett, best known for the 1991 hit "I Touch Myself," died April 21 after a years-long battle with breast cancer.
Although Divinyls singer Chrissy Amphlett had been publicly battling breast cancer and multiple sclerosis for several years, her death on April 21 at age 53 seems to have hit the music community especially hard.
Even beyond casual fans of her band's once-controversial hit song, 1991’s "I Touch Myself," the Australian frontwoman, who had settled in New York City with husband Charley Drayton (a drummer and producer who recently worked on Fiona Apple’s The Idler Wheel ...), seemed to signify a strength and girl power that well preceded the likes of, say, Sporty Spice.
With her recent passing, new footage has surfaced of Amphlett’s final public performance at cocktail lounge Entwine in New York City on Feb. 20, 2012.
In the clip, Amphlett is backed by Greg Wieczorek (Twilight Singers, Norah Jones) on drums and the singer’s longtime friend and recent collaborator Kraig Jarret Johnson (Golden Smog, Jayhawks, Joseph Arthur) on guitar, the latter who hosts the weekly residency.
Also in attendance at the tiny West Village hang: R.E.M. frontman Michael Stipe, who can be heard yelling “bravo” at the end of the first song.
Watch the nine-minute video below:
- Scarlett Johansson, Lupita Nyong'o in Talks for Disney's 'Jungle Book' (Exclusive)
- Bryan Singer Breaks Silence on Abuse Claims: 'Outrageous, Vicious and Completely False'
- The Scene and Stars at the Tribeca Film Festival (Photos)
- Summer Movie Preview: Will Godzilla or Spider-Man (Or Angelina Jolie?) Dominate Your Cineplex?
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
What's Hot In Music
- Bryan Singer Addresses Sexual Abuse Allegations: They Are 'Outrageous' & 'Completely False'
- Elizabeth Banks Attends Screening for 'Walk of Shame', Wears Two Dresses!
- 'Jem & the Holograms' Leading Cast Revealed: Aubrey Peeples, Stefanie Scott, & More!
- Novak Djokovic Expecting First Child with Fiancee Jelena Ristic!