Footage of Divinyls Singer's Final Performance Surfaces (Video)
Chrissy Amphlett, best known for the 1991 hit "I Touch Myself," died April 21 after a years-long battle with breast cancer.
Although Divinyls singer Chrissy Amphlett had been publicly battling breast cancer and multiple sclerosis for several years, her death on April 21 at age 53 seems to have hit the music community especially hard.
Even beyond casual fans of her band's once-controversial hit song, 1991’s "I Touch Myself," the Australian frontwoman, who had settled in New York City with husband Charley Drayton (a drummer and producer who recently worked on Fiona Apple’s The Idler Wheel ...), seemed to signify a strength and girl power that well preceded the likes of, say, Sporty Spice.
With her recent passing, new footage has surfaced of Amphlett’s final public performance at cocktail lounge Entwine in New York City on Feb. 20, 2012.
In the clip, Amphlett is backed by Greg Wieczorek (Twilight Singers, Norah Jones) on drums and the singer’s longtime friend and recent collaborator Kraig Jarret Johnson (Golden Smog, Jayhawks, Joseph Arthur) on guitar, the latter who hosts the weekly residency.
Also in attendance at the tiny West Village hang: R.E.M. frontman Michael Stipe, who can be heard yelling “bravo” at the end of the first song.
Watch the nine-minute video below:
- Exclusive Portraits of Robert Griffin III, Ronda Rousey, Kareem Abdul-Jabbar (Photos)
- MOBA: Inside the Biggest Sporting Event You've Never Heard Of (Photos)
- 'Girls,' Tatiana Maslany and 18 More of the Biggest Emmy Snubs (Photos)
- Emmy Awards 2014: The Nominees (Photos)
- Hollywood's Notable Deaths of 2014 (Photos)
What's Hot In Music
- The Aquabats! celebrate their 20th anniversary at Comic-Con as they ponder the group's next move
- Guillermo del Toro Unveils Comic-Con 'Pacific Rim,' 'Crimson Peak' Fan Experiences
- Jo Nesbo's latest page-turner, "The Son"...Elaine Stritch---The Great Fantasy Dinner Guest!
- Why 'Modern Family' Star Eric Stonestreet Refused A Photo With Rick Santorum