Foster the People Releases Teaser for 2014 Return (Video)
The band's 2011 debut single, "Pumped Up Kicks," is currently the sixth-largest selling alternative digital song of all time.
This article first appeared on Billboard.com.
Foster The People was mostly absent from the music scene in 2013 after releasing its debut album, Torches, in 2011, and subsequently touring in 2012 while making a pit stop at the Grammys to perform with Maroon 5 and the Beach Boys.
This year will not be as quiet for Mark Foster and co., though.
"We're back," the trio posted to Twitter on Tuesday (Dec. 31), along with a teaser video that gave fans a "glimpse of 2014."
That "glimpse" was a 45-second clip that presumably contained a new song from Foster The People's sophomore album, which they performed at the Firefly Music Festival last summer. "It feels like we're coming of age," Foster croons after an arena-ready pop-rock buildup, which hints at a bulked-up sound on the group's Torches follow-up.
Sadly, no details about the song or album are revealed, with a final graphic simply reading, "Foster The People 2014."
Torches was led by the smash single "Pumped Up Kicks," which has sold 5.2 million downloads to date, according to Nielsen SoundScan, and is currently the sixth-largest selling alternative digital song of all time. Torches, which included production from Paul Epworth and Greg Kurstin, has sold 989,000 copies to date, according to SoundScan.
"I think it's going to take a lot of left turns," Foster told Billboard about the group's second album back in June 2012. "It's going to be really celebratory -- a lot like our first record is, but in a different way. I think there's going to be more grit, and I think it's gonna be extremely percussive. I've been listening to a lot of the Clash lately, and a lot of '60s, the Kinks. I think those bands are going to influence the next record heavily."
Watch the clip below:
HOLLYWOOD'S RED CARPET A-LIST
What's Hot In Music
- Abel Ferrara's "Pasolini" Premieres at the Deauville American Film Festival: A Heated Discussion with the Director
- Inspiration Through Film - A Festival
- The Boomtown Rats Return: A Conversation with Bob Geldof, Plus a Chat with Finch's Nate Barcalow and Lots of Exclusives
- What Apple's U2 Stunt Really Says About the Future of Music
- 'Orange is the New Black's Laverne Cox Will Spotlight Trans Youth In 'The T Word' Documentary!
- Julianne Moore & Husband Bart Freundlich Look as Happy as Ever After Nearly 20 Years Together!
- Victoria Beckham Voted Greatest Style Icon in the UK!
- Will Smith Posted This Awesome Photo for Jada's 43rd Birthday!