Fun.'s Jack Antonoff on Writing 'Super WHY!' Songs, Post-Grammy Plans
The PBS children's show's live tour will feature a number of Antonoff compositions.
Fun. may be on the road for the rest of the year, but fans looking for a follow-up to "Some Nights" have some "Super" new material to look forward to.
For its spring live tour, PBS children's show Super WHY! flashed the bat signal for the band's guitarist, Jack Antonoff, who'd previously shown his kid-song chops with the track "It's Fun to Dance" for Yo Gabba Gabba! His previous group, Steel Train, performed it as part of the Nick Jr. show's 2010 live incarnation.
"We played it on tour every night for thousands of little kids and it was a wonderful experience to do that," Antonoff told Billboard, making working with the same production team on Super WHY! Live an easy choice.
One song turned into several, and before long, Antonoff wrote an album's worth of material for the tour, on the theme, "You've Got the Power!"
"I produced and recorded the whole thing, and I must have written at least 15 songs," he says.
He joins a number of musicians turning their attention to creating work for kids, from They Might Be Giants to Andrew Bird, who's developing a children's show, Professor Socks. But it's an older icon Antonoff credits with spurring his rock dreams.
"I grew up on Raffi," Antonoff says. "That was my first impression of what a rock star was."
As for fun., Antonoff, just back from Malaysia, says the group's booked through October -- and he's happy to stay a touring musician.
"The heart of it is playing the record live," he says.
Though a new album from the recent Grammy winners, who picked up two awards at the February ceremony, seems out of the question for 2013, the band has a new track on HBO's Girls soundtrack, "Sight of the Sun." The song scored the credits of the show's Sunday night finale. Antonoff is dating the show's creator and star, Lena Dunham, making the placement more meaningful than just another TV sync.
"It's wonderful, you know?" he says. "What could be better than working with people you love?"
- Exclusive Portraits of Robert Griffin III, Ronda Rousey, Kareem Abdul-Jabbar (Photos)
- MOBA: Inside the Biggest Sporting Event You've Never Heard Of (Photos)
- 'Girls,' Tatiana Maslany and 18 More of the Biggest Emmy Snubs (Photos)
- Emmy Awards 2014: The Nominees (Photos)
- Hollywood's Notable Deaths of 2014 (Photos)
What's Hot In Music
- The Real Housewives of New York City Finale Had One Amazing Moment Involving a Prosthetic Leg
- Check Out the Real-Life Better Call Saul Billboard
- Everything We Know About the Production of Game of Thrones Season 5
- The Real Housewives of New York City Season 6 Finale Recap: Aviva Drescher Threw Her Leg
- Best of Late Night TV: John Stamos' New 'Manny' Service, Dwayne Johnson's Thigh Workout, Ricky Gervais' Marriage Apathy (VIDEO)
- Don't Rule Out a 'Sons of Anarchy' Prequel
- Will Ferrell and Adam McKay Are Making Your 'Manimal' Movie Dreams Come True
- We Can't Stop Looking at These Snazzy 'Hunger Games: Mockingjay' Living Portraits