George Michael Responds to Critics of His Olympics Performance
Referencing media reports accusing him of self-promotion, the singer tweets his fans to join him "in telling them to f--- off."
In shades, a leather jacket and a skull-shaped belt buckle, veteran pop star George Michael commanded the world's attention when he sang his hit song "Freedom 90" at Sunday's Olympics Closing Ceremony in London.
And to that, Michael says, "F— off."
The singer took to his Twitter feed on Tuesday to answer his critics. In his first tweet, Michael wrote, "Morning everyone! Had a GREAT time at the closing! I hope you are not bothered by the press reports of my scandalous 'promotion' !!!"
A second dispatch then read, "Please join me in telling them to f--- off ! It was my one chance on tv to thank you all for your loyalty and prayers, and I took it. X"
He signed off with a third tweet: "And I don't regret it. Xxxx"
Michael's Olympics performance was his first since suffering a serious bout of pneumonia last year. "White Light," a single released in conjunction with Michael's 30th anniversary in the business, is about that near-death experience.
The song has been met with mixed reaction from the music press. NME writes, " ‘White Light’ could do for George what ‘Believe’ did for Cher -- make him cool again for five minutes before relegating him to a life in Vegas."
Titans of Comic-Con: Stars Re-Create Classic Characters (Photos)
- Exclusive Portraits of Robert Griffin III, Ronda Rousey, Kareem Abdul-Jabbar (Photos)
- MOBA: Inside the Biggest Sporting Event You've Never Heard Of (Photos)
- Emmy Awards 2014: The Nominees (Photos)
- Hollywood's Notable Deaths of 2014 (Photos)
What's Hot In Music
- Brooks Wheelan on His Post-SNL Plans, Returning to a Days Inn Budget, and Taking Comedians Camping
- A Most Wanted Man Is an Unshapely Movie That Showcases Philip Seymour Hoffman at His Peak
- Seinfeld Might Come to Netflix
- In the Outlandishly Entertaining Lucy, Scarlett Johansson Becomes One With the Action-Movie Universe
- Best of Late Night TV: Dwayne Johnson's Fainting Spell and Morgan Freeman's Helium Balloon Voice (VIDEO)
- The 10 Most Important 'Interstellar' Mysteries Revealed at Comic-Con 2014
- 'Hot Tub Time Machine 2' Trailer: Back To the Hilariously Outrageous Future (VIDEO)
- There's Still Hope For an 'X-Files' Reboot