George Strait Becomes First Musician to Notch 60 No. 1 Singles
The country superstar achieved the milestone with “Give It All We Got Tonight.”
Country Music Hall of Famer George Strait achieved an unprecedented milestone Monday, becoming the first music artist to notch 60 No. 1 singles in his career.
Strait’s “Give It All We Got Tonight,” off his latest album, Love Is Everything, was named the week’s most-played song on country radio by Mediabase, a music industry service that monitors radio station airplay in North America.
“I didn’t realize we were making history -- I just hoped we were putting out music that my fans would enjoy,” Strait said in a statement. “As always, I’m thankful to the fans and country radio for their support on all 60 of these No. 1 songs as well as my entire career. They are the ones who made this happen.”
The milestone comes as a result of the “Sixty for Sixty” campaign, in which the veteran performer’s fans, radio stations and fellow country artists banded together to help Strait earn his 60th No. 1 single while he was 60 years old. On May 18, Strait celebrated his 61st birthday.
"The amount of support shown by fans, industry and especially country radio to give George his 60th No. 1 single is the ultimate testament in a format that has been defined by his music," said Royce Risser, senior vp promotion at Universal Music Group Nashville. "No one is more deserving of this accomplishment than George Strait, the undeniable King of Country Music. Happy Birthday, George!"
According to a report published by Billboard over the weekend, Strait is on track for a No. 2 debut on the Billboard 200 albums chart next week with his latest album marking his 18th top 10 entry on the chart.
Sundance: On the Scene
What's Hot In Music
- Jack Falahee on How to Get Away With Murder, Viola Davis, and His Cast BFFs
- Which Braverman Made Us Cry the Most on Parenthood? A Very Scientific Ranking
- Why Are There So Many Arnolds in This Terminator: Genisys Trailer?
- This Trailer for the New Divergent Movie Is Actually Trying to Get Us to Call It The Divergent Series: Insurgent
- Pregnant Isla Fisher Works on Her Fitness Before Giving Birth
- Seattle Seahawks Cornerback Richard Sherman's Son Could Be Born on Super Bowl Sunday 2015!
- Adrian Grenier Pitches New Movie About a Whale at Sundance
- Amy Schumer Freaks Out Anna Kendrick in First Promo for MTV Movie Awards 2015 - Watch Now!