'Glee' Music Honcho Adam Anders Responds to Gotye's Cover Criticism
With the Aussie rocker dishing out and then clarifying his harsh words for the show's cover of "Somebody That I Used to Know," the series' exec. music producer brushes it all aside, and even says he agrees with some of Gotye's remarks.
The great Gotye-Glee debate has come full circle.
After the high school musical show covered the Australian artist's smash hit "Somebody That I Used to Know," splitting the vocals between Darren Criss and guest star Matt Bomer, he had some harsh words for the show, calling its version, "dry," saying it sounded like it was playing from a cardboard box and, on some levels, "dinky and wrong."
In a conversation with The Hollywood Reporter, Glee's Executive Music Producer Adam Anders said that he was fine with the criticism -- in part because it was out of his hands.
"I have no problem with what he said," Anders told THR. "The reality is, it was drier in the show. The problem is, you have a director who is trying to serve a storyline in the show and then I deliver the way I hear it and he did his thing. Obviously it's a very precious song to him and it should be, it's one of my favorite songs to come along in a long time. We painstakingly recreated that track and I absolutely love how it turned out. If you listen to the iTunes version, I think it's very true to his."
In fact, that tracks well with what Gotye himself said when addressing his initial comments during a live show in Los Angeles.
The artist said that he was referring to "this xylophone hook in my song -- it's kind of dinky not just in the cover version but the original song," and even went on to compliment the show's interpretation, saying, "I thought it was really clever to transpose the song to two guys ... It was a great idea."
It would seem all hunky dory, then, something that Anders clearly reflected when he added, "I'm just happy he let us use his song because we love the song and I think he's an amazing artist. So it's all good with me."
2014 Emmy Awards
What's Hot In Music
- Music and Sweets: A Perfect Combo for a Late Night Bakery
- A Labor Day Documentary: 'Brothers on the Line' Tells the Story of the Reuther Brothers -- Founding Fathers of the American Middle Class
- Jennifer Lawrence's Nude Photos Leak Online, Other Celebs Targeted
- Todd English Arrested, Charged With DWI
- Paul Wesley & Phoebe Tonkin Get Cuddly at U.S. Open 2014
- Vanessa Hudgens, Ashley Tisdale, & Austin Butler Get in a Group Workout!
- Emma Stone & Andrew Garfield Fly Out of Venice After Attending Film Festival Together
- Jenny McCarthy's Wedding Dress Revealed! See Photos of Her & Donnie Wahlberg At Their Wedding