Gotye Clarifies 'Glee' Comment; Calls Darren Criss-Matt Bomer Cover 'Clever'
The Aussie newcomer laughs off headlines that claim he hates the Fox show, telling a crowd gathered for an intimate performance at Hollywood's Sayers Club that "it was a great idea."
Australian newcomer Gotye has gotten a lot of attention in recent weeks thanks to his chart-topping hit, "Somebody That I Used To Know," but not all of it has been positive.
Taking on the Glee cover of his song in last week's episode -- performed by Darren Criss and Matt Bomer -- Gotye told his home country paper the Sunday Mail that he found the show's recording style "dry" and that it sounded "like it's playing to you from a cardboard box." He goes on to describe portions of the tune as "dinky and wrong."
But at a private performance for Los Angeles alt-rock station 98.7 held at Hollywood's Sayers Club on Monday afternoon, the 31-year-old clarified his comments, explaining to morning jock Kennedy (formerly of MTV fame) and an intimate crowd of less than 100 (which included Rumer Willis, American Idol winner Kris Allen and reality star Audrina Patridge) that "the nature of using reverb and space in a recording can change your perception of how a sound appeals to you." In regards to the Glee cover, he pointed out that he was referring to "this xylophone hook in my song -- it's kind of dinky not just in the cover version but the original song." Somehow, he added mockingly, "that becomes the Glee cover I hated and Darren Criss is an asshole."
In fact, Gotye went on to compliment the Fox show's interpretation, telling the crowd, "I thought it was really clever to transpose the song to two guys ... It was a great idea."
A not-so-great-idea? Opting not to play his smash for an audience of fans, radio station contest winners and industry folks, many of whom had been sipping on deliciously fruity Svedka vodka cocktails for the better part of two hours. It seems this newcomer still has one lesson to learn: give the people what they want.
Watch the Glee version of "Somebody That I Used to Know" below:
Titans of Comic-Con: Stars Re-Create Classic Characters (Photos)
- Exclusive Portraits of Robert Griffin III, Ronda Rousey, Kareem Abdul-Jabbar (Photos)
- MOBA: Inside the Biggest Sporting Event You've Never Heard Of (Photos)
- Emmy Awards 2014: The Nominees (Photos)
- Hollywood's Notable Deaths of 2014 (Photos)
What's Hot In Music
- In the Outlandishly Entertaining Lucy, Scarlett Johansson Becomes One With the Action-Movie Universe
- Now That You've Seen Snowpiercer, Which Other Movies Should You Watch From Director Bong Joon-ho?
- Hannibal Producers on Clarice Starling’s Arrival and Who Survived the Massacre
- Morgan Freeman Tries Helium Again for Jimmy Fallon
- Best of Late Night TV: Dwayne Johnson's Fainting Spell and Morgan Freeman's Helium Balloon Voice (VIDEO)
- The 10 Most Important 'Interstellar' Mysteries Revealed at Comic-Con 2014
- 'Hot Tub Time Machine 2' Trailer: Back To the Hilariously Outrageous Future (VIDEO)
- There's Still Hope For an 'X-Files' Reboot
- Ian Somerhalder Heads to Comic-Con After Looking Lovey Dovey with Rumored Girlfriend Nikki Reed
- Matt Bomer Accidentally Gropes Liv Tyler in 'Space Station 76' Trailer
- Gwen Stefani & Gavin Rossdale Head on Vacation with Family!
- Mad Men's Jessica Pare Takes Advantage of Her Free Time After Filming Wraps!