Gotye's 'Somebody That I Used to Know' Is Shazam's Most Tagged Song Ever
In a year of major milestones, the Aussie singer-songwriter notches another via the popular audio identification service.
It’s topped the charts in 23 different countries, sold seven million tracks and logged more than 250 million YouTube views, and now Gotye’s “Somebody That I Used to Know” has achieved another milestone: for tagging.
According to Shazam, the popular audio detection service that allows users to “tag” a snippet of music (most commonly used to identify a title and artist, it’s also become a marketing component of major television ad campaigns), “Somebody That I Used To Know" is the first song to be tagged over 10 million times.
The news arrives months after the Aussie insta-hit (featuring New Zealand's Kimbra) broke another record: gaining a million tags in a week. To date, “Somebody That I Used to Know” has actually reached 11.5 million tags worldwide, driving sales of over 1 million, according to the company, which cites an average purchase rate of 8% for Shazam fans who tag a track.
This week, the song is No. 3 on the Billboard Hot 100 chart which monitors sales, streaming and airplay data. Watch the video for "Somebody That I Used to Know" below.
Titans of Comic-Con: Stars Re-Create Classic Characters (Photos)
- Exclusive Portraits of Robert Griffin III, Ronda Rousey, Kareem Abdul-Jabbar (Photos)
- MOBA: Inside the Biggest Sporting Event You've Never Heard Of (Photos)
- Emmy Awards 2014: The Nominees (Photos)
- Hollywood's Notable Deaths of 2014 (Photos)
What's Hot In Music
- Neil LaBute Q&A: The Controversial Playwright Talks About His L.A. Theater Takeover
- Top Off-Broadway Shows to Watch in NYC This Season: Part One
- Megan Fox Is Not Thrilled About The 'Girl Power' That Was Cut From 'TMNT'
- Keith Olbermann's Powerful Speech About Lack Of Respect For Women In Sports Is A Must Watch