Gotye's 'Somebody That I Used to Know' Is Shazam's Most Tagged Song Ever
In a year of major milestones, the Aussie singer-songwriter notches another via the popular audio identification service.
It’s topped the charts in 23 different countries, sold seven million tracks and logged more than 250 million YouTube views, and now Gotye’s “Somebody That I Used to Know” has achieved another milestone: for tagging.
According to Shazam, the popular audio detection service that allows users to “tag” a snippet of music (most commonly used to identify a title and artist, it’s also become a marketing component of major television ad campaigns), “Somebody That I Used To Know" is the first song to be tagged over 10 million times.
The news arrives months after the Aussie insta-hit (featuring New Zealand's Kimbra) broke another record: gaining a million tags in a week. To date, “Somebody That I Used to Know” has actually reached 11.5 million tags worldwide, driving sales of over 1 million, according to the company, which cites an average purchase rate of 8% for Shazam fans who tag a track.
This week, the song is No. 3 on the Billboard Hot 100 chart which monitors sales, streaming and airplay data. Watch the video for "Somebody That I Used to Know" below.
Hollywood Goes Broadway
What Hollywood Earns
What's Hot In Music
- Here's the Full Tracklist for Lorde's 'Mockingjay' Soundtrack (PHOTO & AUDIO)
- Keanu Reeves on 'John Wick,' 'Bill & Ted 3,' and That 'Point Break' Remake (EXCLUSIVE)
- Gugu Mbatha-Raw & Nate Parker Share a Moment in This Exclusive 'Beyond the Lights' Preview
- How Will 'Guardians of the Galaxy 2' Begin? In 'Horribly Brutal Fashion'
- Orphan Black's Tatiana Maslany To Make NY Stage Debut in 'The Way We Get By'!
- Ariana Grande 'So Proud' of Brother Frankie for Booking 'Rock of Ages' Role
- Michelle Williams & Marion Cotillard Celebrate the Foundation Louis Vuitton Opening!
- Matthew Morrison's Wedding Photo to Renee Puente Revealed - See Her Gorgeous Wedding Dress!