Gotye's 'Somebody That I Used to Know' Is Shazam's Most Tagged Song Ever
In a year of major milestones, the Aussie singer-songwriter notches another via the popular audio identification service.
It’s topped the charts in 23 different countries, sold seven million tracks and logged more than 250 million YouTube views, and now Gotye’s “Somebody That I Used to Know” has achieved another milestone: for tagging.
According to Shazam, the popular audio detection service that allows users to “tag” a snippet of music (most commonly used to identify a title and artist, it’s also become a marketing component of major television ad campaigns), “Somebody That I Used To Know" is the first song to be tagged over 10 million times.
The news arrives months after the Aussie insta-hit (featuring New Zealand's Kimbra) broke another record: gaining a million tags in a week. To date, “Somebody That I Used to Know” has actually reached 11.5 million tags worldwide, driving sales of over 1 million, according to the company, which cites an average purchase rate of 8% for Shazam fans who tag a track.
This week, the song is No. 3 on the Billboard Hot 100 chart which monitors sales, streaming and airplay data. Watch the video for "Somebody That I Used to Know" below.
HOLLYWOOD'S RED CARPET A-LIST
What's Hot In Music
- Rian Johnson Loves the Creative Freedom of 'Star Wars: Episode VIII'
- Weekend Movies & TV: 'The Maze Runner,' 'The Guest,' 'Gotham,' & More (VIDEO)
- The 'Grey's Anatomy' Cast Dressed as the 'Orange Is the New Black' Cast Will Make Your Day (PHOTO)
- Live From New York: Darrell Hammond Is the New Voice of 'SNL,' Replacing the Late Don Pardo
- Alexander Koch Sends the JJ Spotlight Series 'Under the Dome'
- Matt Damon Expected to Attend George Clooney's Star Studded Wedding - Find Out Who Else is Invited!
- 'Twilight' Actor Jackson Rathbone's Plane Makes Emergency Landing After Engine Explodes
- Dylan O'Brien Brings His Sexy Scruff to 'The Today Show'