Grammys: 34 Couples to Wed On-Air During Macklemore Performance
During "Same Love," gay and straight couples will be married on live television at the event, according to The New York Times.
Macklemore & Ryan Lewis' piano-based "Same Love" is set to be a wedding anthem at Sunday's 56th Grammy awards.
During the rap duo's performance of the track, the telecast will showcase the live weddings of 34 gay and straight couples, according to The New York Times. Lewis' sister, Laura, is among those set to reportedly marry her boyfriend, Alex, on live TV.
"Same Love," which features songwriter Mary Lambert on the chorus, overtly addresses the cultural divide on the issue of gay marriage. "A certificate on paper isn't going to solve it all/but it's a damn good place to start," read the lyrics. The title is nominated in the song of the year category at the awards.
Speaking with The Hollywood Reporter earlier in the week, Grammys producer Ken Ehrlich pledged a night of surprises.
"All things are possible on the Grammy Awards," the producer said when asked about a Madonna appearance, later adding: "It’s what we do, one of the trademarks of this show, what I’d like to believe separates the Grammys from these other shows. You see artists do things that they just don’t do anywhere else."
Macklemore & Ryan Lewis are nominated for seven honors at the awards, including album of the year for The Heist.
- Exclusive Portraits of Robert Griffin III, Ronda Rousey, Kareem Abdul-Jabbar (Photos)
- MOBA: Inside the Biggest Sporting Event You've Never Heard Of (Photos)
- 'Girls,' Tatiana Maslany and 18 More of the Biggest Emmy Snubs (Photos)
- Emmy Awards 2014: The Nominees (Photos)
- Hollywood's Notable Deaths of 2014 (Photos)
What's Hot In Music
- The Aquabats! celebrate their 20th anniversary at Comic-Con as they ponder the group's next move
- Guillermo del Toro Unveils Comic-Con 'Pacific Rim,' 'Crimson Peak' Fan Experiences
- Jo Nesbo's latest page-turner, "The Son"...Elaine Stritch---The Great Fantasy Dinner Guest!
- Why 'Modern Family' Star Eric Stonestreet Refused A Photo With Rick Santorum