Grammys: 34 Couples to Wed On-Air During Macklemore Performance
During "Same Love," gay and straight couples will be married on live television at the event, according to The New York Times.
Macklemore & Ryan Lewis' piano-based "Same Love" is set to be a wedding anthem at Sunday's 56th Grammy awards.
During the rap duo's performance of the track, the telecast will showcase the live weddings of 34 gay and straight couples, according to The New York Times. Lewis' sister, Laura, is among those set to reportedly marry her boyfriend, Alex, on live TV.
"Same Love," which features songwriter Mary Lambert on the chorus, overtly addresses the cultural divide on the issue of gay marriage. "A certificate on paper isn't going to solve it all/but it's a damn good place to start," read the lyrics. The title is nominated in the song of the year category at the awards.
Speaking with The Hollywood Reporter earlier in the week, Grammys producer Ken Ehrlich pledged a night of surprises.
"All things are possible on the Grammy Awards," the producer said when asked about a Madonna appearance, later adding: "It’s what we do, one of the trademarks of this show, what I’d like to believe separates the Grammys from these other shows. You see artists do things that they just don’t do anywhere else."
Macklemore & Ryan Lewis are nominated for seven honors at the awards, including album of the year for The Heist.
Titans of Comic-Con: Stars Re-Create Classic Characters (Photos)
- Exclusive Portraits of Robert Griffin III, Ronda Rousey, Kareem Abdul-Jabbar (Photos)
- MOBA: Inside the Biggest Sporting Event You've Never Heard Of (Photos)
- Emmy Awards 2014: The Nominees (Photos)
- Hollywood's Notable Deaths of 2014 (Photos)
What's Hot In Music
- Best of Late Night TV: Bachelorette Andi Plays the No-ly Wed Game, James Franco's Selfie Tutorial (VIDEO)
- The 'Batkid Begins' Trailer Will Make You Shed a Tear or Two (VIDEO)
- Chris Pratt, Zoe Saldana, and Dave Bautista Get Weird in Our 'Guardians of the Galaxy' Unscripted (VIDEO)
- Norman Reedus Breaks Down Daryl and Beth's Relationship on 'The Walking Dead'