Green Day Cancels Remaining 2012 Concerts for 'Billie Joe's Well-Being'
The band also postpones appearances in January and February.
Green Day has canceled all remaining dates on its 2012 club tour, as well as postponed appearances there were scheduled for January and February.
The band made the announcement on Monday. In late September, frontman Billie Joe Armstrong entered rehab for substance abuse shortly after making headlines for his meltdown at the iHeartRadio festival; he unleashed onstage, smashing his guitar and declaring "I'm not f---ing Justin Bieber!" in protest of the group's set being cut short by organizers.
"Obviously the timing for this isn't ideal, but Billie Joe's well-being is our main concern," said bassist Mike Dirnt in a statement. "We are happy to say that Billie Joe is doing well, and we want to thank you all for the outpouring of support and well wishes that we have received, and we can't wait to see you all again soon."
Green Day was slated to go on a West coast tour kicking off Nov. 26 in Seattle and closing Dec. 10 in Tempe, Ariz. Tickets for those shows will be refunded at the point of purchase; meanwhile, new dates for the tabled 2013 shows will soon be announced with the band honoring fans' previously purchased tickets.
The band's latest three albums (¡Uno!, ¡Dos!, ¡Tré!) continue to roll out. ¡Uno! debuted at No. 2 on the Billboard 200 in September with 139,000 albums sold and ¡Dos! will debut on Nov. 13. The release date for the third, ¡Tré!, has been bumped back from Jan. 15 to Dec. 11.
"We feel bad we have to delay our tour, so to make up for it we want to give our fans the music earlier than we had planned," said drummer Tré Cool. "If we couldn't be there to play it for you live, the least we could do was give you the next best thing."
2014 Emmy Awards
What's Hot In Music
- Solo Concerts, Stealin' Home & Similar Skin: Chats with Bruce Hornsby, Iain Matthews and Umphrey's McGee...Plus!
- Jake 'The Snake' Roberts, Iconic Pro Wrestler, Hospitalized After Collapse
- Interview: Sinéad O'Connor Isn't Bossy; She's the Boss
- Princeton Mom Doesn't Want 'Sugar Babies' To Sully The Good Ivy League Name
- Pregnant Mila Kunis Is Still Continuing Her Yoga Workouts
- Pregnant Megan Hilty & Her Hubby 'Bully' Audiences Into Buying Her Album to Help Pay For Their Baby's Education!
- Kim Kardashian Satisfies Her Sweet Tooth with Some Fro-Yo
- Mary-Kate Olsen Adds Horseback Riding to Her Resume - See Her Competition Pics!