Guided By Voices Vs. Ex-Drummer: Nobody 'Gave a Shit Who Was Behind That Kit'
An Ebay listing with a $55,000 price tag has infuriated the frontman for the veteran indie rock band.
What started as an indie rock drummer selling his set on eBay has definitely turned ugly.
Former Guided by Voices drummer Kevin Fennell posted an auction for his drumset last week, though no one was able to meet the $55,000 starting bid, and bidding closed Thursday morning without a single interested party.
His band took offense to that, posting on its Facebook page that it had "nothing to do" with the posting, and that Fennell was "no longer in the band."
Now, the auction's Facebook page -- which no longer exists -- has shared an email correspondence between Fennell and Guided by Voices frontman Robert Pollard. In the exchange, posted by Pitchfork, Fennell claims he resigned from the band, while Pollard maintains he was fired.
"You have made a fool of yourself by your asking price," Pollard wrote. "Most people would like to know who the fuck you think you are and who you think Guided By Voices is that you can warrant that kind of asking price for your fucking drums."
Pollard also took Fennell to task on using the band's name in the auction, saying that he had "to ask permission to to use the name Guided By Voices as I own it."
"You're an amateur, you play too fast (which is the sign of an amateur). I've asked you to slow down and get behind the music but I can tell that you don't know what I'm even talking about," Pollard apparently wrote as well. "Do not delude yourself, Kevin, that people gave a shit who was behind that drum kit,"
As noted, the Facebook page for the auction is no longer active. Meanwhile, the page for the Dayton, Ohio rock band has not made a comment on the matter since the original message stating that it was not involved with the auction.
This story first appeared on billboard.com.
- John Oliver on the Luxurious 'Freedom' of HBO, His Complicated Relationship With NYC
- The Hollywood Reporter's 35 Most Powerful People in New York Media 2014
- Cannes Preview: The Hot Movies in the Running to Hit the Croisette
- CBS' $67 Million Man: Does Leslie Moonves' Moolah Make Sense?
- 'Mrs. Doubtfire' Sequel in the Works at Fox 2000 (Exclusive)
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
What's Hot In Music
- Kim Kardashian's Nuptials to Kanye West Could Be the Wedding of the Century!
- Miranda Kerr Will Chop Off Her Long Hair One Day, Be Prepared!
- Katie Holmes Shows Star Power Right Before Tribeca Film Festival Kicks Off!
- Ryan Lochte & Ireland Baldwin Are Proud American Icons for Calvin Klein White Label's Campaign!