Guitarist Adrian Belew Leaves Nine Inch Nails: 'It Didn't Work'
The King Crimson member cites a desire to focus on his solo project.
Adrian Belew has announced that his collaboration with industrial rockers Nine Inch Nails "didn't work" and that he is leaving the band before they take off on their worldwide summer tour.
The announcement comes as a surprise following statements Trent Reznor made in February, citing the King Crimson guitarist as a huge component of why NIN re-formed earlier this year.
"I was working with Adrian Belew on some musical ideas... which led to the decision to re-think the idea of what Nine Inch Nails could be," Reznor said.
Before his simple Facebook status update -- which reads "concerning me being part of the 2013 Nine Inch Nails band: it didn't work" -- Belew did write a more elaborate explanation for his departure, citing respect for Reznor and a desire to focus on his solo project, FLUX.
Belew is featured on the band's upcoming full-length, Hesitation Marks, due Sept. 3 on Columbia Records.
In May, bassist Eric Avery announced he was also leaving Nine Inch Nails, saying he felt "overwhelmed" by the band's forthcoming tour schedule.
Nine Inch Nails will be touring with Godspeed You! Black Emperor and Explosions in the Sky, kicking off with dates in July.
What Hollywood Earns
What's Hot In Music
- 'Horrible Bosses 2' Review: Why the Comedy Sequel Isn't As Horrible As You Might Think
- 10 Christmas Movies That Haven't Aged Well
- Best of Late Night TV: Evangeline Lilly's Odd Costume, Pregnant Emily Blunt Saved Meryl Streep's Life (VIDEO)
- 'Frozen' Continues World Domination, Beats Barbie in Toy Sales
- Darren Wilson Breaks Silence on Michael Brown Shooting: 'I Have a Clean Conscience' (Video)
- Kris Jenner Steps Out for Dinner with Boyfriend Corey Gamble After Bruce Jenner Enjoys Date with Rumored Girlfriend
- Jake Gyllenhaal Really Pissed Off Anna Kendrick - Find Out Why!
- Rihanna Uses Video of Cute Little Girl to Describe Her Mood