Indie Music Site Pitchfork Wins National Magazine Award
Founded in 1995, the online publication was recognized by the American Society of Magazine Editors alongside New York Magazine and National Geographic.
Among the winners at the American Society of Magazine Editors' prestigious National Magazine Awards on Thursday night was indie music website Pitchfork, which picked up an Ellie (ASME's elephant-shaped trophy) for General Excellence in Digital Media.
The awards were held at New York's Marriott Marquis. Fittingly, New York Magazine won Magazine of the Year and was also recognized for its “Strategist” section. Other winners included National Geographic, which came away with four awards, Vogue, which won for Service and Fashion, and Time, receiving a nod for best design. Slate also won in the digital category.
Pitchfork, a digital-only Internet magazine, scored a first-time win. Founded in 1995, when Ryan Schreiber, then a recent high school graduate, wanted access to a comprehensive music resource online, the site has grown into one of the most respected outlets for music criticism and has proven to be a consistent predictor of buzzing indie rock and hip-hop acts. The site also hosts a well-attended annual music festival in Chicago.
Of the nomination and subsequent win, Pitchfork said, “We all love and care about music, and always feel fortunate to spend our days (and often long nights) thinking about, reporting on, and engaging with this ever-expanding world. Right now, we are overflowing with gratitude.”
Sundance: On the Scene
What's Hot In Music
- Soon You’ll Have to Ask Taylor Swift Permission to Say ‘This Sick Beat’
- What Should I Watch Until You’re the Worst Comes Back? Your Pressing TV Questions, Answered
- Aaron Sorkin’s Steve Jobs Movie Begins Filming With Cast Full of People Who Haven’t Dropped Out Yet
- Chiwetel Ejiofor and Margot Robbie Discuss the Postapocalyptic Z for Zachariah
- Jennifer Lawrence Goes Makeup Free & Natural For Doctor's Appointment
- Bruce Jenner Will Document His 'Journey' on New Docu-Series (Report)
- Amal Clooney Was Asked Fashion Questions While Representing Armenia in Genocide Trial
- Dominos 'Fifty Shades of Grey'-Esque Ad In the Spotlight For It's S&M Content