Jack White Pays $142,000 to Save Detroit Landmark From Foreclosure
The concert hall at the historic Masonic Temple, where the rocker's mother once worked as an usher, will be renamed The Jack White Theatre.
Jack White has dropped $142,000 toward Detroit's Masonic Temple -- where he's performed nine times -- to save it from foreclosure.
The temple (the world's largest of its kind) had gotten into tax debt in recent years, and had until yesterday (June 3) to pay its outstanding balance to avoid foreclosure. White, one of Detroit's most famous musicians (whose mother once worked as an usher at the temple) footed the entire bill.
"Jack's donation could not have come at a better time and we are eternally grateful to him for it," said Detroit Masonic Temple Association president Roger Sobran, according to the Detroit Free Press. "Jack's magnanimous generosity and unflinching loyalty to this historic building and his Detroit roots is appreciated beyond words."
The massive temple takes up an entire block in Detroit's Cass Corridor neighborhood. It contains two theaters (the Masonic and the Cathedral), a chapel, ballrooms, offices, and bowling lanes.
The Cathedral Theater, which seats 1,586 patrons to the Masonic's 4,400, will be renamed the Jack White Theatre in the rocker's honor.
Acts like The Rolling Stones, The Who, Jimi Hendrix, Frank Zappa and Rush have played the Masonic.
Hollywood Goes Broadway
What Hollywood Earns
What's Hot In Music
- What's Worth Watching This Week: 'Snowpiercer,' 'Life After Beth,' 'Pee-wee's Playhouse'
- 'Avengers: Age of Ultron' Will Have More Visual Effects Than Any Other Marvel Movie
- Florida Mom Petitions Toys 'R' Us to Remove 'Breaking Bad' Figures From Stores
- 'Sharknado 3' to Ravage the 'Feast Coast' Next Summer
- Kaley Cuoco Wraps Up Ryan Sweeting at Elle Women in Hollywood Celebration
- Kerry Washington Brings 'Scandal' to Elle Women in Hollywood Celebration
- Sarah Paulson & Renee Zellweger Hang Out at Elle Women in Hollywood Celebration
- Jennifer Lawrence Rocks Oscar de la Renta Dress at Elle Women in Hollywood Celebration