Janelle Monae, Goo Goo Dolls, TLC Booked for VH1 Super Bowl Blitz
Gavin DeGraw, Fall Out Boy and J. Cole will also play the six-show series, sprinkled throughout New York City's five boroughs and New Jersey.
This article first appeared on Billboard.com.
The first Super Bowl to be held in the New York City/New Jersey area will bring an equally historic volume of concerts, as the music industry looks to top recent efforts in cities like New Orleans, Indianapolis and Dallas.
Leading the charge is VH1, which will kick off a series of six concerts in New York City's five boroughs (plus New Jersey) on Monday, January 27, with the appropriately titled VH1 Super Bowl Blitz. Participating artists will be J. Cole at Queens College (Jan. 27), Janelle Monae at Lehman College in The Bronx (Jan. 28), Fall Out Boy at Brooklyn Bowl (Jan. 29), TLC at Manhattan's Beacon Theatre (Jan. 30), Goo Goo Dolls at Staten Island's St. George Theatre (Jan. 31) and Gavin DeGraw at Montclair, New Jersey's Wellmont Theatre (Feb. 1).
"Normally we would do one big show in the market where Super Bowl is being played, as we have with All American Rejects to Maroon to B.o.B. to Rihanna – twice," says VH1 president Tom Calderone. "But we wanted to celebrate the fact that it's not only in New York and New Jersey for the first time, and it's an opportunity to do an outdoors, against-the-elements kind of show."
The concerts will air live each night on VH1 at 11 p.m. ET/PT and stream live via the VH1 mobile app and at SuperBowl.VH1.com. Official sponsors are Papa John's, Verizon and Mars/Wrigley. To amplify the outdoor angle, exclusive pre-shows will stream online featuring marching bands, dance performances and other surprises. "We'll be outside whether it's 32 degrees or minus 5," Calderone says.
Tickets will be available starting Monday, Jan. 13, when @VH1 will tweet secret times and places in New York City where fans can show up to have their picture taken with Iggy The Penguin, the official mascot of the Super Bowl Blitz concert series and tag their photo with the hashtag #Vh1Blitz for a chance to win tickets. Additionally, a limited number of tickets for each show will be available for purchase.
- Exclusive Portraits of Robert Griffin III, Ronda Rousey, Kareem Abdul-Jabbar (Photos)
- MOBA: Inside the Biggest Sporting Event You've Never Heard Of (Photos)
- 'Girls,' Tatiana Maslany and 18 More of the Biggest Emmy Snubs (Photos)
- Emmy Awards 2014: The Nominees (Photos)
- Hollywood's Notable Deaths of 2014 (Photos)
What's Hot In Music
- 'Wish I Was Here' Star Ashley Greene Wants You to Check Out These 5 TV Shows & Movies
- Best of Late Night TV: "Guardians of the Galaxy" Cast Takes Over Kimmel, Kate Hudson Plays Box of Lies (VIDEO)
- This 'You've Got To Be Kidding Me' Supercut Is One For The Ages
- Katie Holmes Behind the Camera in 'In Short'